Penn GS Reels

Started by ReelCreel, April 29, 2009, 02:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelCreel

I have one Penn 535GS and two Penn 555GS reels that I am converting to magnetic braking. I obtained side plates with "knobby" magnet assembly installed from a source in the UK. The base reels are in excellent shape, but I am debating whether or not a full rebuild and perhaps further upgrades should be considered at the same time. My intended use is to use these reels on heavy duty surf fishing rigs...sharking, for example. Any thoughts on this? Will you come out with a rebuild post on these reels in the near future?

Also a couple of specific questions:
My contact in the UK said I would need to break off the cross pin part of the original centrifugal braking system to provide clearance for the magnet of the magnetic braking system.. I can certainly do this but I was wondering if this pin can be pushed out instead. Any thoughts on this?
My 535GS is older and does not appear to come with Penn's Versa-Drag system while ny newer 555Gs reels are so equipped. Can I convert the 535GS reel to Versa-Drag?

Feel free tp comment on these reels. Thank you.

alantani

another author already wrote one.  did a very nice job.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=313.0  grease the drags, clean and lube the bearings.  i don't know much about magging.  it should work fine, though.  good luck!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!