Fishing Can Last A LifeTime

Started by dogdad1, February 19, 2012, 01:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

I feel kinda sheepish, I've been lurking for quite awhile and even had the nerve to recently jump in and start asking questions without introducing myself first... so here I am.

"Hi, my name is Ron"...
       "Hi Ron."

"I'm glad I found this place"...
       "We're glad you're here too"

"Ever since I can remember, I liked to take things apart and make them work better.  I also like fishing.  Uhhh, thank you..."
       "Thanks for sharing, Ron.  Who wants to be next?"

Whew. Ok, now that we're past that part.  As a kid, I remember going out on my Uncle's boat and sitting at the chart-table and watching as my Grandfather, Uncle and Father would use these very big rods & reels to catch lots of big fish.  I'd wish I could be back there and get all sweaty and bloody with them, but I always had to stay inside and out of the way (besides, I had to wear one of those big floppy orange life-jackets and they weren't conducive to much movement for a little kid anyways), especially when the lines would start singing.  However, I did peek inside the box and watch as the colors would change on a big bull dolphin or marvel at the sharp teeth on a log-size 'cuda, so I was happy.

Fast forward many years.  The boat and my GrandDad and Uncle have long-departed on the ultimate fishing-trip and my Dad is right now making final preparations for his, while I ironically ended up with all the fishing equipment and the memories.  My plan had been to bring all the gear back into shape again and be able to sit and relive some of those moments with Dad, but I'm realizing it's a bit too late now.  The Captain just told the deckhands to cast off the lines, and Dad is too busy rigging for 'The One That Always Got Away' to really hear me now.  That's ok, Tight Lines, Pop.

Anyways, I'm working through all of their old Penn stuff (spinning reels right up to a couple 16/0) by myself now, and I'm sure will have a lot of questions as I get into it.  I've already asked here about cleaning the crud off the reels and got some terrific help, and am making a list of more things to ask. 

Thanks for putting up such a great site, and for everyone attached to it.

PS:  I wonder if it's Catch-And-Release on 'The Other Side'?
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

wallacewt

its not c&r on the other side.you need a couple of fish and a glass of wine to feed the masses :D

alantani

one of the most important reels i ever worked on was an old ocean city.  the owner's father gave it to him when he was 14 years old, his father just passed away and his son was soon turning 14.  he wanted to get his reel back into shape so that his son could fish with it.  it was in pretty bad shap, but i got it working.  as adults, we take kids fishing for just this reason.  so that we will not be forgotten. 

welcome!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

Ron, you speak as if you are an adult. Well in actuality you are still a kid at heart and probably still remember fishing with your grandfather, uncle and dad like it was yesterday. God bless them for passing the torch, and may you be blessed to keep those memories forever.

Thanks for sharing.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Ron: I like your sentiment.  We can feel sad at the passing and soon to be passing with warmth and affection.  I had a good run getting to where I am.  I have a pretty light bucket list, so I tell friends and family not to mourn my passing (not that I want to go yet) but to have the same sentiment that you expressed in this thread.  I had fun passing through and I am still having fun and giving my grandchildren memories.  I hope they all look upon my life with smiles.  I can tell you are looking on the folks around you with a smile.  All my best and welcome to the site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Nessie Hunter

Welcome to the site Ron...

Some great memories and sentiment...
I hope my kids feel the same...
They are just getting in their 40's . 
Funny part is my Daughter seems to be truly hooked.
I wonder if its because she is surrounded by Men???   LOL
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Welcome Ron and cheers for the memories.
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment around remembrance.
Validation for a life well lived.
Good luck with the rebuilds and post some photos if you get the chance.
All the best, Justin
Quoteits not c&r on the other side.you need a couple of fish and a glass of wine to feed the masses...
Classic.  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer