Vintage vs "Vintage"

Started by Makule, February 19, 2012, 07:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Just took a look at Ebay and found that Penn reels that are being offered as "vintage" items are a lot newer than I expected.  Very few of the Senators are 113 or 114, most being "H" or newer.  Certainly makes me feel old.

The reels I started fishing with had the handles shown below.  All handles had the counterweights, even the very large ones.  I haven't seen Senators with that kind of handle for many years now.

Does anyone have any of those old reels?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

probably about 40 or 50......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Here you go Makule.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220956213457?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Unfortunately it didn't last long. This reel was up yesterday without a buy it now option, but somehow it's gone.
I wasn't surprised to see it go, the lighthouse boxed reels don't hang around for long. I'm sure someone made the seller a sweet offer. The reel started at around $500 and my guesstimate is that it probably went for a little over $1000, if he didn't get that, he probably lost some money. I'm sure  he would have got that much if he would have left it in the auction.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Looks like this guy from Garden Grove, CA is selling off his whole collection of Penn reels.  Wow, what a collection of reels that guy has.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Is $500 a "good" price for this reel? 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, don't be surpriced if that reel will go for double that.

Makule

If all these antique thing sell for so much, I must be worth a fortune.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 22, 2012, 05:36:59 PM

Ouch!!!   I have a NIB Winchester Classic Safari Grade .375 H&H I should price.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on February 22, 2012, 11:54:25 PM

Lee, is that a pre-64 model 70?
George
viurem lliures o morirem

Caranx

If its a classic, I think it's a post 1993 CRF. ;D

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on February 22, 2012, 11:54:25 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 22, 2012, 05:36:59 PM

Lee:  I'll give you a grand, sight unseen.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Caranx on February 23, 2012, 03:30:55 AM

Yes, it's a "Classic"  I wish this was a pre 64.

Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on February 23, 2012, 10:56:04 PM
Quote from: Caranx on February 23, 2012, 03:30:55 AM

Yes, it's a "Classic"  I wish this was a pre 64.

That's okay. Dominick's a pre-'64, maybe even a pre-'46! ;D :-*
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

day0ne

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 19, 2012, 11:14:26 AM
Here you go Makule.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220956213457?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Unfortunately it didn't last long. This reel was up yesterday without a buy it now option, but somehow it's gone.
I wasn't surprised to see it go, the lighthouse boxed reels don't hang around for long. I'm sure someone made the seller a sweet offer. The reel started at around $500 and my guesstimate is that it probably went for a little over $1000, if he didn't get that, he probably lost some money. I'm sure  he would have got that much if he would have left it in the auction.

It's been relisted

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220959653702

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter