Static Magging a Shimano TN14A

Started by DaBig2na, January 18, 2023, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I figure a pic may be useful here for my measurement description.

Also the spring keeps tension on the nut so it doesn't loosen or tighten on its own.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

And since I already went into cad, I made another diagram. The idea is you adjust the mag brake by tightening or loosening the nut. If you wanna adjust past the range the screw gives you, you'd need a different screw. That's why a knobby mag is better, but this option doesn't require drilling your side plate.

nelz

Now I get it! The CAD did the trick.  :d

DaBig2na

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 19, 2023, 07:30:18 PMAnd since I already went into cad, I made another diagram. The idea is you adjust the mag brake by tightening or loosening the nut. If you wanna adjust past the range the screw gives you, you'd need a different screw. That's why a knobby mag is better, but this option doesn't require drilling your side plate.

Ok I dig it! Great Idea ........You think a 1/4-28 flat head bolt/screw epoxied to the (side plate) in my case the frame, since it's one solid piece.  Then a (cut to fit) threaded rod coupler wouldn't work? It would increase the range of travel in and out. A 10x4mm N52 neodymium magnet glued inside the coupler.
The Real World Doesn't Care About "Your Feelings" or Your "Wokeness"
I'm in the Real World!

DaBig2na

Quote from: Cor on January 19, 2023, 03:15:22 PM@ DaBig2na
I am not aware that you actually get different strength, the strength is determined by the size and I have used a few different sizes but always come back to 10 X 3 mm. 

Help me right?

This link will give a broader understanding of neodymium magnets strength, grades, shapes and sizes.
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/neomaginfo.asp
I'm in the Real World!

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah I do something like that now for mine. I was just trying to give you an easy option. I suggested the 10-32 screw because the nylon ringed nut fits a 0.25" dia magnet perfectly. But if you're willing to fabricate, then yes absolutely. This is one I made. The idea is to still have a few threads for adjustment, but also give space for the spring when compressed so it doesnt limit my travel.

Also in case you didnt see it, here's a link to my rabbit hole thread
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=36075.0

Cor

Quote from: DaBig2na on January 19, 2023, 08:42:08 PM
I am not aware that you actually get different strength, the strength is determined by the size and I have used a few different sizes but always come back to 10 X 3 mm. 

Help me right?
Thanks, never to old to learn something.

This link will give a broader understanding of neodymium magnets strength, grades, shapes and sizes.
Cornelis

DaBig2na

Quote from: ourford on January 20, 2023, 01:04:13 AMWhy not just get one of these?
https://surfcastproshop.com/shop/ols/products/multi-mag-conversion-kit

How about go back and re-read every thing in my initial post. Then in comment 18..
Let me know what you discover.. Go nice and slow....
I'm in the Real World!

DaBig2na

Quote from: Cor on January 20, 2023, 08:35:25 AM
Quote from: DaBig2na on January 19, 2023, 08:42:08 PM

Help me right?
Thanks, never to old to learn something.

Fascinating isn't it?.......
I'm in the Real World!

ourford

Quote from: DaBig2na on January 20, 2023, 11:16:40 AM
Quote from: ourford on January 20, 2023, 01:04:13 AMWhy not just get one of these?

How about go back and re-read every thing in my initial post. Then in comment 18..
It was just a suggestion. If you want it to look like a grade school science experiment, it's your right.
Vic

DaBig2na

Quote from: ourford on January 20, 2023, 11:39:58 AM
Quote from: DaBig2na on January 20, 2023, 11:16:40 AM

It was just a suggestion. If you want it to look like a grade school science experiment, it's your right.

Look Genius! ::)  I'm well aware of the knobby mags....I have several reels that have them. In case you missed it in my first sentences.. "Before I drill a hole in the side of this reel"

Additionally the reel costs just over $500 USD and has a one piece frame and the left "side plate" is integrated in to the "one piece". To return it back to original (if you can get one) will be to acquire the entire frame which will cost hundreds of dollars. I would like to avoid that if possible with an alternative.
I'm in the Real World!

ourford

As I said it was just a suggestion. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over. If your worrying about your $500 reel, why not just leave it alone and buy a cheaper magged reel which will probably cast better anyway? Are you in long pants yet?
Vic

JasonGotaProblem

Guys, what makes this forum great is that we avoid that type of... Discussion.

My idea wasnt directly in line with what you asked for either but it ended up being productive. I didn't know if it would be or not, but I mentioned something related because I thought it might help. So did ourford.

And ourford's post was helpful. To me. Because I didn't know anyone in the USA had products similar to what rocket sells, only you aren't paying the exchange rate or held hostage by the Royal mail.

This is intentionally a very friendly and supportive place. It aint like the rest of the internet.

DaBig2na

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 20, 2023, 02:52:35 PMGuys, what makes this forum great is that we avoid that type of... Discussion.

My idea wasnt directly in line with what you asked for either but it ended up being productive. I didn't know if it would be or not, but I mentioned something related because I thought it might help. So did ourford.

And ourford's post was helpful. To me. Because I didn't know anyone in the USA had products similar to what rocket sells, only you aren't paying the exchange rate or held hostage by the Royal mail.

This is intentionally a very friendly and supportive place. It aint like the rest of the internet.

My knob mags from Reel Kustom Reels...... right here in the US..
I'm in the Real World!