155 lb drag in a 80 class reel?

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, February 19, 2012, 07:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

Gentlemen,

I did not see a posting on this website and as I run into a webpage with this reel I thought that I could not let this unnoticed

Throw away what you got now cause here is the new "Spite Blue" big game reel 8) ???

http://www.profish3.com/game%20reel.htm
155lb drag for the 80 class reel

They seem to have an 130 model as well

Bryan Young

Um, have yet to be seen without anything breaking.  Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

But I do like the color.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reinaard van der Vossen

I would, If I just hadn't ordered those two makaira's ::)

Bryan Young

I think you have bought a much better reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i dunno.  i would not want to comment unless i had a chance to open one up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

floating doc

"i dunno.  i would not want to comment unless i had a chance to open one up."

And until until Alan does that and I read about the results on this website, it's just marketing hype.
Central Florida

coastalobsession

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2012, 09:44:18 PM
i dunno.  i would not want to comment unless i had a chance to open one up. 
X2 Alan. I wouldn't mind opening one up.. :-\
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Makule

Help me to understand this:  If the reel is 80 lb class, why would it need 155 lb of brake?  Ninety pounds of brake would break the line (and probably most people trying to hang on to it).  You think maybe it's so that when you panic and throw on full brakes, you'll have to let go or fly overboard?  Then, after you lose your outfit, you'll need to buy another, thinking that was a great reel since it had so much braking power.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

wallacewt

it makes you wonder alright,the 15lb line reel states 55lb drag ???$usa 284.00.ill pass.

alantani

i would more interested in knowing the drag range offered by this reel that allows a fish to run at full speed and not damage the gears or anti-reverse mechanism.  chances are that this "functional/working" drag is considerably less then 155 pounds.  remember when abu garcia touted the revo as being able to deliver 24 pounds of drag? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

Reinaard van der Vossen

Well....
I was not seriously expecting that this real could do 155LB of drag on a sustainable basis. It might but if it does it really would raise my eyebrows.

It was more that I did not see this reel come across this board and therefore I thought it was a good idea to bring the existence of the reel to the attention.

On the other hand they also might have done something very well that we could learn from. We already have come a long way from the class 80 reels which were running hot with 20lb drag at a maximum

They have other reels as well, one very similar in gold color and one with a "belly" aluminium frame which should improve line clearance. Now where did I see that before...? Must be my alzheimer kicking in ;)

Alto Mare

Great! now I can cancel my Boat US insurance, I could use IT the next time I get jammed in the mud to free myself ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

reelynuts

Now we just need rod holders that can handle 155 lbs of drag without exploding out of the gunnel,reel seats that can handle 155 lbs of drag without splitting, rods that can handle 155 lbs of drag without breaking, line that can handle 155lbs of drag without snapping, hooks that can handle 155 lbs of drag without straightening out, and fish with mouths that can handle 155 lbs of drag without ripping. Whatever an International 130 can put out for drag can break 250 lb. Jinkai, and the reel doesn't hold that much line (mono) to begin with. If we use the 25-33% rule for drag settings we'll end up with around 50 -70 feet of 450-600 lb. test line. No thanks! ps. I am only mildly exaggerating. ::) 

Jimmer

I'll bet my anchormate has 155lb drag. It's built with winch technology.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann