Why we call it 'fishing', not 'catching'...

Started by redsetta, February 20, 2012, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day lads,
Just thought I'd share a recent land-based mission to the top of the Coromadel Peninsula on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island.
I purpose-built that 9500SS (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3074.0) for jigging and live-baiting for big kingfish, and this was it's first proper outing.
Me and a mate, Matt, headed out pre-dawn and walked several miles around steep, rocky coastline to a spot I'd found the previous year.
I was carrying about 25kg (50-odd pounds) of bait and burley, plus two rods/reels and assorted kit.

Here's the view from the final promatory.
It drops off steeply on the seaward side (behind me as I took the photos), so I had to tie everything off with a rope and lower it all down about 60 feet, then climb down very carefully - it's one of those 'slip-and-die' spots.
Cracker views though...  ;)

This reef is called the 'checkerboard' and can hold some nice fish, especially from a kayak.
It gets a hammering from spear fishos in summer though.

The cliff face we come down is just out of shot to the right, but you get an idea of the pitch - not for the faint-hearted...

Here's the rocky point with a great wash and drop-off - looks fishy eh?!

The wash flows out to 20-odd feet of water, before dropping off to around 140 feet just offshore.

Here, I've got a nice 6lb kahawai livie out on a bridle and balloon.
Waiting... waiting... waiting...

The day was perfect, the tide ideal... Even the moon phase was good, producing the strong currents preferred by kingies.

Matt's new to fishing, so I set him to work on a casting rig and he picked up a range of table fish (snapper, kahawai etc) over the day.
(We came back with two 6lb and one 4lb fish, so plenty for a couple of nights' eating.)

Schools of kahawai (our local light-tackle sport fish and livie fodder) were sweeping into this little cove and hammering the bait fish in our burley trail.
Unfortunately, no kingies though.

It really was a 'day of days' and had all the ingredients for a cracker 20kg+ kingie, for which this part of the Coromandel is known.
As it happened, the fates had other ideas...
Such is life - fishing not catching, as the saying goes.  ;D
At least we had a line in the water, which is enough sometimes...  ;)
Righto - all the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on February 20, 2012, 08:25:47 AM
spectacular views!
X2!
I wouldn't mind sitting there for a couple of hours, every now and then.
By the way, is that the same handle on that 9500?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

What a beautiful country. Love the panoramic picture,thanks for sharing. ;D

Bryan Young

Wow, that's beautiful.  Looks like my kind of fishing and not catching.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

Catching ~ is just a bonus in most cases.   This location for sure!!!!

Awesome....  :o
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Thanks lads - it's a beautiful part of the country all right.
I'll be back next year and hoping for some 'third-time lucky' magic.  ;)

Sal - no, I put the upgraded black handle on my brother's reel and used an old Slammer one on mine.
Figured he'd like the 'all original' styling...
Cheers, Justin

Dominick

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on February 20, 2012, 06:05:18 PM
Catching ~ is just a bonus in most cases.   This location for sure!!!!

Awesome....  :o

X 2 The only thing missing is a couple of lounge chairs.  I would have lowered a couple down with rope.  Standing and waiting for a bite is tiresome.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

hi justin
6lb livie,on that penn fishin for kings!no way man,kingies 100 justin 0.but we will never know,not yet anyway.may the force be with you, :D :D

redsetta

Bigger the better Wallace, I reckon.
I've got 80lb Jig Star stripy braid on the SS, so it's set up for the big ones...
I'm estimating the weight of the livie, but it was about 50cm long.
Ended up pulling it back in at the end of the day and eating it that night, so it was a multipurpose fish...  ;) ;D
Cheers mate, Justin

wallacewt

now listen here friend,pal buddy,buddy. lets be fair dinkum here.you got the rod sittin in the rock crevasse,not good,drag on or off dont matter.ping or zip,wheeeee,now whos got who?haha

redsetta

Agreed, but I had to put it somewhere to take the photo...  ;)

wallacewt

Dominick

I lost a rod and reel to a sturgeon once.  I couldn't get to it fast enough.  I thought I had the drag off, but I'll never know. :-\  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B