Casting conventional reels with braid

Started by JasonGotaProblem, January 23, 2023, 03:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I'm aware this post may be tedious, so I'm gonna lead with the idea I wanna explore, and then go into supporting detail below.

I believe the reason many think braid doesn't cast well on a conventional is that they are trying to spool it like it's mono. But they don't play the same. 

I am aware that the conventional wisdom is that mono casts better than braid on a conventional reel.

I am also aware that conventionally, for good casting the norm is to spool in tight coils with minimal cross wrapping.

I'm also aware that a common belief is that you don't wanna use too light of braid on a non-levelwind conventional, because the line digs in and that hurts casting distance, even if it doesnt dig in and snap off.

I am also aware that the plural of anecdote is not data. And that what I am about to share is definitely an anecdote.

The guy who spooled up my abu 5500CT build looked at me funny when I said I wanted 15# braid because I wanna cast it. He also looked at me funny when I asked that he wrap it with a bit more cross-wrapping than he'd usually go for. His reason was that 15# braid is too small to cast well on an conventional because it'll dig in. And also that you don't cross wrap for casting. But my reason for cross wrapping more was so it doesnt dig in.

Well i went fishing this weekend and brought my 5500CT and also a freshly spooled penn 501. Only on the 501 I didnt make any "weird" requests. It was spooled up nice and tight with 50# braid. So it should cast well in theory. Line spooled tight and a bigger diameter.

Well the 5500CT casts like a dream. 3 times I tried to cast the 501. 3 times the line immediately dug in and snapped off. I didnt have anymore appropriate bait to try a 4th time. But even if I did, i was so annoyed I would not have tried again.

But i tell ya what, ignoring the received wisdom and cross wrapping my light braid led to wonderful casts, no rat nests, and no breakoffs. Following the received wisdom led me to understand why people think mono casts better.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

xjchad

Great observations and thoughts! 
It completely makes sense to me Jason.
It also appears that you are moving quickly from anecdote to data.

From my own experience and frustration with casting braid on a conventional, I think your technique is sound and would help a lot. 

This would only work on non-level wind reels thought right?  Since we have no control over the cross wrapping with the level wind.  It is what it is.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

I'll take braid over mono. With only one exception; trolling with a spoon, dead or live bait. These are going to twist the line no matter the swivel performance. Twisted braid is BAD. Twists real easy and tight with tiny knots and is a _____ to un-twist.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

15# braid on an abu 5500 is beyond my comfort zone to enjoy a fishing day, the lower I had gone was 20# braid and it was on a 200 size low profile reel.

anything lower than 20# braid is on a small spinning reel.

my abu 6500 has braid line of 40#
The Baja Guy

Keta

1, In my opinion  properly spooled braid casts far better than mono.

2, Braid backlashs far easier and FAR WORSE than mono.

3, I would not go lighter than 40# for casting and  30# for trolling (trout and kokanee).

Gfish, I tie a small swivel  between the braid and a 5' or so mono leader when trolling with spoons or jigging for kokanee to reduce or eliminate line twist.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cor

Quote from: steelfish on January 23, 2023, 09:03:55 PM15# braid on an abu 5500 is beyond my comfort zone to enjoy a fishing day, the lower I had gone was 20# braid and it was on a 200 size low profile reel.

anything lower than 20# braid is on a small spinning reel.

my abu 6500 has braid line of 40#
Ditto.   Braid is thin enough that I don't own any under 50LB
Cornelis