Magging a penn 501, need a 2nd opinion

Started by JasonGotaProblem, January 26, 2023, 02:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I'm gonna put a mag brake on my 501. It'll probably be a knobby mag because that's the rabbit hole I live in right now and when all you got is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Now this 501 happens to have a red tiburon frame and red maxed out handle (an extravagant gift from Keith that I did not deserve and I'm still thankful for it). And I realized that the red spool knob I pulled off a modern abu blackmax is the exact same red anodized color as the frame and handle. So it might look cool. But on the other hand all the other external metal bits on the reel are silver. So i could make a strong argument for either option. Which would look better?

Pic is the red knob resting on the side plate, nothing has been drilled yet.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

The silver matches all the other similar external metal bits and makes it look like it could have been a stock option, but the anodized red highlights that it's an aftermarket part. That's the divide.

handi2

Jason I like contrasting colors. I vote silver!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Squidh90

Personally I'd go with the red since it matches with the other two aftermarket parts. But if your in doubt why not just make two mags, one for each color?

Cor

Quote from: handi2 on January 26, 2023, 03:02:53 PMJason I like contrasting colors. I vote silver!
I side with handi2 on this one, silver or even better, Black >:D
Cornelis

pjstevko

xjchad

I agree that the red would look good matching the other hotrod parts!  However, in this case, I can't help but love how the silver will match with the spool and clicker knobs!  8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 26, 2023, 02:40:05 PMI'm gonna put a mag brake on my 501. It'll probably be a knobby mag ......

hey Amigo, you're on a roll  8)  8)

I vote for The red one since it looks factory made and it will look pretty discrete on the reel
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

I didn't think it would be this difficult. I think I'm gonna go with silver, knowing I can always add the red later. At least that's what i think right this moment. I'm still arguing with myself.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 27, 2023, 05:09:50 AMI didn't think it would be this difficult. I think I'm gonna go with silver, knowing I can always add the red later. At least that's what i think right this moment. I'm still arguing with myself.

LOL Im with you on this one.

I always had hard time chosing the components for building my personal rods, cork or eva or hypalon, black or silver or gunsmoke guides, Sic or oxide or zirconia, blue/red or yellow/black wraps, fuji MN or KW or ALPS, etc. I spent more time choosing the components than actually building the rods  ;D
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on January 27, 2023, 05:36:54 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on January 27, 2023, 05:09:50 AMI didn't think it would be this difficult. I think I'm gonna go with silver, knowing I can always add the red later. At least that's what i think right this moment. I'm still arguing with myself.

LOL Im with you on this one.

I always had hard time chosing the components for building my personal rods, cork or eva or hypalon, black or silver or gunsmoke guides, Sic or oxide or zirconia, blue/red or yellow/black wraps, fuji MN or KW or ALPS, etc. I spent more time choosing the components than actually building the rods  ;D
I try to explain to people that 60% of rod building is rod planning. In addition to quality wraps and clean lines, a well built rod shows clear signs of intention and forethought. But that's more than half the fun. It gives me something to think about.

Bill B

I'm digging the red knob.  Makes it known that this is an aftermarket piece and the reel is a sleeper... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

The Baja Guy