International 50TW drag curve issue

Started by fishtacog, January 26, 2023, 11:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtacog

Hello all, I recently acquired an International 50TW that was in great shape. However, I am dealing with an irregular drag curve. With 16 lbs of drag at strike, I can move the lever down to the "E" in "STRIKE" and basically be in free spool (less than 1 lb of drag). I have read other posts suggesting the cam be flipped 180 degrees, check the belleville washers, check the cam itself, and ensure all washers are still in place but nothing will fix the weird drag curve. I ran into a 30TW with the same drag characteristics, is this just the nature of these reels?

alantani

for the drag profile to be that "steep," the bellevilles must have already been switched out to a stiffer configuration. 

here is your schematic. https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50tw.pdf

you will see the key #18 and #18A belleville spring washers that probably started in a "()()" configuration and are now in a stiffer "(())" configuration.  maybe changing it back to "()()" might help. 

otherwise, you are looking a grinding down the cam.  as always, once you grind away metal, you can't put it back, so be careful here.  flipping the cam upside down does not work. not sure who would suggest such a thing, but don't.  there is definitely something fishy going on here.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Robert Janssen

Quote from: alantani on January 27, 2023, 04:12:49 AMBelleville ...are now in a stiffer "(())" configuration... changing it back to "()()" might help.

This. And only this.
Someone has been messing with the bellevilles. Put them back the way they belong and all will be well.

fishtacog

Quote from: alantani on January 27, 2023, 04:12:49 AMfor the drag profile to be that "steep," the bellevilles must have already been switched out to a stiffer configuration. 

here is your schematic. https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/50tw.pdf

you will see the key #18 and #18A belleville spring washers that probably started in a "()()" configuration and are now in a stiffer "(())" configuration.  maybe changing it back to "()()" might help. 

otherwise, you are looking a grinding down the cam.  as always, once you grind away metal, you can't put it back, so be careful here.  flipping the cam upside down does not work. not sure who would suggest such a thing, but don't.  there is definitely something fishy going on here.  :-\

Thanks for the insight Alan. I can confirm that the belleville washers are in the "()()" configuration. Only thing I can think is that the washers have flattened from being possibly stored with the drag locked down? I have not yet checked the height of them but visually they look fine. I did see your tutorial on grinding the cam but I think that might put me in over my head.

alantani

any chance that you're near san jose, ca?

fishtacog

alantani

the only other idea would be thinner bellevilles.   :-\