Cals 2 speed grease bearings

Started by Irishdevil0311, February 08, 2023, 11:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irishdevil0311

Anyone got thoughts on using Cals 2 speed yellow grease to pack bearings? I tried using Corrosion X grease in the packer. It made the bearings a little too stiff. I was thinking of packing a small grease tube with Cals yellow and giving it a try. Any thoughts about this would be great.
Thank you 

akfish

I wouldn't be concerned about using Cal's or Corrosion-X to pack bearings -- as long as we're not talking about the spool bearings. I always use a light oil -- Corrosion-X usually -- on spool bearings and pack all other bearings with grease. The oil allows better free spool but doesn't protect as well as grease.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Irishdevil0311

Most of the reels I am doing are international 50 and 80. Free spool is not a real big deal. I have Cals purple grease. How much thicker is his yellow then that? Is it much lighter than Corrosion X ?

handi2

Just mix some Corrosion in your favorite grease. I still use Alan's bearing packer on some bearings
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

tincanary

90W gear oil works good too.  I apply it with a 14AWG needle dropper to worm gears and non-spool bearings.