Penn 99 Silver beach

Started by Eatmycatch, February 21, 2012, 07:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterStinky and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Eatmycatch

Well I got the 99 to open, after soaking it...there was a lot of dried up fish blood that turned to glue, but I got it open.. I scrubbed the frame and insides with a toothbrush and regreased it. What it needs first is a new clicker. But I'm not sure if they are replacable. They look like they are riveted into the outside button. They sell them on Scotts...is there a wat to replace the clicker?

I also have a 500 side plate that fits perfectly too. But the 500 side plate is red and the 99 is black, it works but looks ill.. ;D

Anyone ever replace a clicker??

Alto Mare

The clicker is not that difficult to replace. If you have a dremel it will make the job easier,  I've also done it by hand, using a file.
Scott's has the replacement parts and they're only a couple of dollars. Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Eatmycatch

Thanks for the response - Just to make sure I'm following you correctly (I'm a newbie in reel rebuilding) Dremel out the old one, or file off the lip I got that...but the new pieces I will get at Scotts, how do they connect together? Do they screw together or snap in, or something different?

Alto Mare

You need to preen, peen, no r ( sorry, I'm fluent in Italian :-\) the new one into place, the clicker botton is made of soft metal making the process easy. I do want to mention to place the plate on a piece of wood that has been wrapped with a rag, this will help not domage the tip of the new clicker botton. You will need part# 35-60 and 36-60CH.
On larger reels the clicker botton comes with a c-clip to hold the toungue down. Don't ask me why your reel doesn't come with it becouse I just don't know.
Hope this is helpful. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Panama

Quote from: Eatmycatch on February 25, 2012, 02:18:15 AM
I also have a 500 side plate that fits perfectly too. But the 500 side plate is red and the 99 is black, it works but looks ill.. ;D

If you have the 500 side plates I would use those (both sides).  The drags on the 500 are bigger.  The 99 has a gear ratio of 3:1 the 500 has a gear ratio of 4:1.  Those are the main reasons for the reel conversion.
Get on the water, Man!!!

Eatmycatch

Gotcha Sal , Thanks. 
Also a good suggestion Panama...I'll have to think about this for a minute, because I have 2 different spools I use on the 500 for different apps, I may just pick up a black 500 on ebay for cheap, I kinda like the more sturdy side plate the 99 has...decisions, decisions....

Irish Jigger

Check that the 99 will take a 500  left side plate as I read somewhere the 99 reel stand has six attachment holes.

Eatmycatch

Irish Jigger - You are correct, as I just checked and the 99 does in fact have 3 screw holes on each side.

It is indeed the little engine that could though with a 500  right side, hooked up to it. A good and strong, compact reel, with a nice strong drag and a little faster retrieve. Especially with the over sized handle the thing is like a little chain hoist... ;D

Irish Jigger

I just bought a Penn 99 off eBay for a good friend who collects Penn's. Was disappointed to find the Stand was cut longitudinally into two pieces each secured to the Side Plates by three screws.  Otherwise the reel was in great condition but not collectable. I did not notice this on the eBay photograph. :-[

I checked with Scott's only to find the 30-99 Seat was discontinued. What a mess. :'(
Phoned my Penn contact in England looking for one in any condition. He replied saying he had a box of 60, 30-99 Seats brand new and that I was the only person who had ever asked for one. Received it today and now have a beautiful little 99 ready for my friends collection. Lucky or what? ;D

Got me thinking about the amount of new old stock Penn parts lying in different locations out there.

George4741

Quote from: Irish Jigger on September 06, 2012, 05:20:11 PM
Phoned my Penn contact in England looking for one in any condition. He replied saying he had a box of 60, 30-99 Seats brand new and that I was the only person who had ever asked for one. Received it today and now have a beautiful little 99 ready for my friends collection. Lucky or what? ;D

Got me thinking about the amount of new old stock Penn parts lying in different locations out there.

Very lucky.  I think he could make a nice chunk of change selling them on ebay.  I've seen them on ebay only once or twice in the last three years, and I bought one of them.
viurem lliures o morirem

Irish Jigger

I can order this genuine Penn part for anyone needing it, the downside being  the cost of shipping. :'(  

BTW the 30-99 Stand also fits the Penn International 12H.