Penn 99 Silver beach

Started by Eatmycatch, February 21, 2012, 07:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eatmycatch

Hi,

My friend gave me one of his fathers old reels, cause he knows I like to rebuild and fix up old reels. It's a Penn 99 Silver Beach.

The reel needs work done on it not sure what yet; I cant get the take apart to come out it won't budge. It has a take apart side plate like a jigmaster or squidder. My question is 2 fold:

Does the side plate come out in the same direction as the squidders or the jigmaster? In other words does it turn in a downward direction to come out?

Does anyone know of a good solution to make to disolve some of the gunk that has it stuck to the frame?

Thank You for any answers or suggestions.

Panama

Quote from: Eatmycatch on February 21, 2012, 07:24:53 PM

Does the side plate come out in the same direction as the squidders or the jigmaster? In other words does it turn in a downward direction to come out?

Does anyone know of a good solution to make to disolve some of the gunk that has it stuck to the frame?

Thank You for any answers or suggestions.

The sideplate on a squidder comes off by turning forward (clockwise).  The jigmaster comes off by turning backwards (counterclockwise). 
Try soaking the frame in some degreaser, I use awesome degreaser its cheap (.99 cents store) and works for me.  You can also try vinegar and a little baking soda.  Both methods have worked for me in the past.  If the reel has alot of salt build up I would try the vinegar/baking soda first.

Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

Dominick

Quote from: Panama on February 21, 2012, 07:33:42 PM
If the reel has alot of salt build up I would try the vinegar/baking soda first.
Anthony
Okay guys and gals:  I've heard this before.  From my high school chemistry I remember that baking soda is an alkalai and vinegar is an acid.  So if one were to put vinegar on a reel, (let's say to get off some green crud) then the acid would do its job by eating away the crud and if left long enough it would etch the metal.  If one were to mix vinegar and baking soda together the ph would change to neutral or acidic or alkalai.  So my question to all is how do you use both vinegar and baking soda?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

intili

Wow! I rebuilt a 99 Silver Beach in 2008, and soaked the reel in a vinegar/ baking soda mix, it worked awesome, removing all the corrosion and caked on white/green stufff, leaving the chrome a little dull with some brassing effect, actually looks pretty good. I took the drive side off and replaced it with a 500 jigmaster to gain better gearing and drags. Used Alans ss gear sleeve, and new 309 drag washers, and a penn two position handle. Makes an awesome little wireline reel with the chrome over brass spool.

Eatmycatch

QuoteThe sideplate on a squidder comes off by turning forward (clockwise).  The jigmaster comes off by turning backwards (counterclockwise).

Panama not mine. My jigmaster and squidder both come off by turning them down counter clockwise. Maybe different version of the squiidder came off differently. What I really need to know is does anyone know the direction the Penn 99 comes off?

Alto Mare

I think that Anthony was looking into a mirror while doing it :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 21, 2012, 11:44:43 PM
Hey Anthony:  I agree with Sal.  Make sure you turn the Squidder counter clockwise to remove it.  By the way you really have to crank on the Squidder I sent.  It's a tight fit.   Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Eatmycatch

QuoteI think that Anthony was looking into a mirror while doing it .

:D lmao! Come on guys the suspense is killing me I want to see what the inside looks like conditionwise. Down or up?? :o

Panama

Quote from: Eatmycatch on February 21, 2012, 11:37:46 PM
QuoteThe sideplate on a squidder comes off by turning forward (clockwise).  The jigmaster comes off by turning backwards (counterclockwise).

Panama not mine. My jigmaster and squidder both come off by turning them down counter clockwise. Maybe different version of the squiidder came off differently. What I really need to know is does anyone know the direction the Penn 99 comes off?
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 21, 2012, 11:44:43 PM
Quote from: Eatmycatch on February 22, 2012, 12:06:00 AM
QuoteI think that Anthony was looking into a mirror while doing it .

:D lmao! Come on guys the suspense is killing me I want to see what the inside looks like conditionwise. Down or up?? :o

YEAH YEAH....Talk smack about me. LOL....I grab one reel and processed with the right side of my brain then grab the other and processed with the left side of my brain or maybe I just don't like you guys so I give you wrong advice.....LOL.  Sorry about that, I just grab both reel and I took the 500 off but not the squidder. My bad!!! Take away my fisherman's card for a month for the mistake. Mommy says I can't come out to play today......LOL

Anthony
p.s. Counterclockwise it is!
Get on the water, Man!!!

Eatmycatch

QuoteYEAH YEAH....Talk smack about me. LOL....I grab one reel and processed with the right side of my brain then grab the other and processed with the left side of my brain or maybe I just don't like you guys so I give you wrong advice.....LOL.  Sorry about that, I just grab both reel and I took the 500 off but not the squidder. My bad!!! Take away my fisherman's card for a month for the mistake. Mommy says I can't come out to play today......LOL

Anthony
p.s. Counterclockwise it is!

Anthony.... 50 lashes with a wet noodle....LOL!  ;) Too funny!

alantani

just scanned this one quickly because it's long, but you know that the jigmast side plate fits this one perfectly? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Eatmycatch

I did not know that...Good to know, because of the fact that I was looking for a jigmaster Jr. any way. To go along with my Squidder Jr.

Also on these old Penn reels the engraving they put on them in those days is absolutely beautiful. This one has a guy fighting a fish in a rocky shoreline, with a lighthouse and a sail boat in the back ground.. :)

Eatmycatch

I wonder if I would be able to trick this out then with a high speed gear and pinion set...???

alantani

the answer is yes, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing......

for the old japanese fishermen of southern california some 30-40 year ago, one of the most favored upgrades was to take a 99 silverbeach and slap a penn 500 jigmaster side plate on it.  it was the best of of both worlds - a 4:1 gear ratio, a larger drag stack, and a spool that would hold a near perfect 300 yards of 30# mono.  life just didn't get any better than that.  i know it sounds cliche, but seriously, those were the days!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Panama

Quote from: Eatmycatch on February 22, 2012, 02:35:28 AM
I wonder if I would be able to trick this out then with a high speed gear and pinion set...???

I have a penn 500 narrowed to 99 size with newell 99 spool, bars, seat and newell 5:1 gear.  I also upgraded it with an alan tani SS sleeve.  I had to find the right size spacing sleeve for drag to work right with the 5:1 gear.  I really like the reel. Feels great to fish.  Have another with tib frame which is a little heavier.  The upgrades are great but for the local fishing here is a lot.  Keep in mind Newell stuff is becoming costly.  Is it worth it now.......don't know!
Get on the water, Man!!!