Okuma Warranty

Started by SoCal Redneck, February 22, 2012, 04:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Redneck

Hi Alan, brand new to this site.  All I can say is wow, and thank you.  Been fishing for 30+ years and just now getting the "how to" on proper reel maitenance.

Was interested in buying a hardly used Okuma Makaira 10II, but didn't know if that 5 year warranty was transferrable or only applied to original buyer.  I looked at the okuma site but couldn't find any info.  Can you shed any light on this for me.

thanks

Bryan Young

Probably best to call Okuma at (909)-923-2828 for details. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

my understanding is that the guarantee is for the reel, not the owner.  okuma is working hard to turn themselves into the premier tackle company.  i have no doubt that they will stand behind each and every reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCal Redneck

Ok, called Okuma and got somewhat of an answer:

was told that the warranty is for the purchaser, then was told if I had the purchase reciept that I should be OK....custumer service rep then advised to register the reel for warranty as soon as possible to which I asked "what if the original buyer had already done so, would that pose any problems"?  which I got the reply "yes because then it would have to be sent in under that name". ???

Not sure if it's worth saving $75 for a Owned but not used VS buying it new with no question on any warranty issue.   The Rep did say that the reel represented their high end line and he thought Okuma would probably stand behind it.  I haven't dealt with Okuma before, but I do know some companies look for any reason or catch in the fine print why it doesn't fall under warranty.  I for one am willing to pay more and support a company that values its customers and have outstanding customer service.

Has anybody dealt with Okuma and warranty or parts issues?

thoughts on saving a few bucks over new?

alantani

it might be worth the extra cost.  so few reels are send it within the year.  not because reels do not fail within a year, but more because most guys procrastinate, then find out that the year is already up because it's already the next season by the time they look at their reel again.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jimmer

I have to chime in here and say how well Okuma has treated me over the years, free small parts and really cheap larger parts, free or cheap shipping, i would be confident they will take care of you if you have a problem.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

SoCal Redneck

I've got to say...every time I've called Okuma, I've spoken with a real live person.  They claim to have a 48-72hr turn around time for reels.  I know they received my reel on Monday(not sure what time), I'll post when it's shipped back.  See if they remember my free hat.  ;D   So far they get thumbs up from me.  If I'm ever stuck on the decision of which reel to buy, I will def choose okuma over others like avet...just for the customer service.  I still have yet to hear back from avet after several calls and email.

SoCal Redneck

After sending in a reel to them...it was received on monday and a brand new replacement wtih 2 free hats were in my mail box the following friday.  They tell me their usual turn around time is 2-3 days, but they were stumped with the reel I sent them and wanted to dig into it with the development guys, so they just sent me a new one.  Great customer service and always a live person to talk to who will get you an anwer and even call you back after finding out the answer.  Thanks to Daniel at Okuma!  I will not hesitate to buy more Okuma products.