First Rod

Started by Mjg378, February 14, 2023, 07:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mjg378

So I finally did it.  I completed my first fishing rod.  I've replaced tip tops. Plenty of guides but had never built a rod from a blank.  My son wanted a rod with his old school colors, FSU.  Now my youngest is asking when his will be finished. (The learning curve is steep!)
Mike
Germantown TN

JasonGotaProblem

Dude you freaking nailed it!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Jimmer

Nice build Mike!!! I have to try it this year. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bill B

Good looking rod.  I have a build coming up, I just might borrow that thread combo.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

looks great Mike...and so it begins...🤙🏾
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

oh-oh  welcome to the Rodbuilding rabbit hole   ;D  ;D

that rod looks good !!
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Nice work Mike! However Carolina Blue would look better against that MHX logo :)

Mjg378

Thanks for the kind remarks!  Now I'll  start my younger son's rod in Alabama colors!   Although my wife is not into fishing, I'll probably find myself building her a rod too in Georgia colors!  (Saturdays during football season I like to go fishing by myself! 😉)

foakes

Excellent work, Mike! —-

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mjg378

Finished my second rod for my youngest son with University of Alabama colors.  He wanted his name painted on it and I actually like it better that way, more personalized. He has a Penn jigmaster (completely serviced) that matched just right. 

Mike

steelfish

it looks pretty good  :d
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

:)  Very well done , you took the time to do it right .   The thread work is is nice and tight , the guides look to be in the right place .     All that practice that you did payed off ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Donnyboat

Very nice work Mike, it really helps you appreciate some of the good rods that others have built, once you have a go yourself, but I must say, your first & sencond rods are much better than I have ever completed, thanks for posting them, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Mjg378

Ok.  Took a break from reels just long enough to build My new rod.  It's a MHX X fighter that I'll take to the Gulf of Mexico to break it in.  Pretty steep learning curve.  I'm still having a few bubbles, but it's getting there
Mike G
Memphis Tn