Creek Pond

Started by jgp12000, February 15, 2023, 07:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

We have a creek on the property that flows year round.Last year I was having some excavator work done,and while I had it rented I asked my operator to dig the "Creek Pond" deeper after the main job was done.This area use to be so thick you could not even walk to it.I wish I had a before picture but anywho,luckily my wife loves yard work and we have spent several hours getting it to this point.We planted grass with seed blanket to prevent erosion dammed it up more with rip rap,the waterfall has a peaceful sound to it,it's nice just to enjoy nature down there.Last year I caught and moved at least 100 bream to this pond from the big pond.The pond is only 4 ft deep most of the bream are gone now.When we get a heavy rain it runs over the water fall to the creek below.I am not sure if coons,snakes, or cranes got the fish or they just wash down stream.I am considering stocking some channel cats to see how they do,and feed them for the grandchildren to catch?

Gfish

Nice!
Prolly all the above for predation. One bird always equals more. One deep escape spot might help
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jgp12000

I saw a huge crane over there one day he could just wade out for a buffet,maybe not for cats?

philaroman

well, sice you can't legally stock Snakeheads  :o
Bowfin might be indigenous & are almost as nasty  >:D >:D >:D
(you'd still have to keep stocking plenty for the Bowfin to kill)

jgp12000

I have caught a few bowfin in the big pond they are so "nastay" the buzzards won't even eat them.I once tried to stab one in the head with a pocket knife wouldn't penetrate like they are armour plated.

Cor

I can only be jealous of such a nice piece of nature in your back yard!
Coming from a suburbia resident.
Cornelis

JasonGotaProblem

Supposedly bowfin eggs are a cajun delicacy.

Just dont accidentally get gar eggs.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

Yep Cor we are at the deadend of a subdivsion were only 3 houses 4 years ago now 30 houses thrown up in a year with .25 acre lots we have 24 acres we have wildlife but I can hear the interstate and constant forklift beeping from the junkyard.It's like country in the city . I can't pee off the front porch anymore,we have an acre buffer though from the nearest neighbor which they are nice, but I rather not see any houses that close.

jgp12000

Jason my great uncle use to save any bass roe, they are great fried.Dont think I want anything out of a bowfin...

handi2

The man made pond I have is 10 foot deep it has an aerator on the bottom to get more 02 in the water. An overflow too with a screen to stop any batefish from getting out
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

jgp12000

Keith that aeration is good for the fish are happy I am sure.It's amazing how they get oxygen out of the water with their gills,and it seems like the gills are so fragile any foul hooks they won't make it.I sometimes bend the barb down if I catch any to release,but not often....

jgp12000

I stocked 60 channel cats yesterday and added more riprap I will feed them everytime I go down there.

Midway Tommy

Watch out for a Gator take over!  :o
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rancanfish

Love the idea.

I too have a creek running thru my property. I thought of adding some rock to create a mini dam and lift the water level in a short portion. One of my neighbors sicked the local environut agency on me. They called out of no where. Told me I am not allowed to even remove trees I have felled if it falls in the vicinity of the creek.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jgp12000

Tom,I have had 4-4ft gators come and go...Let me guess Rancan your neighbor doesn't even fish and drives an electric car?