Shimano Trinidad 40 N and Ocea jigger 4000P

Started by jamesm029, February 22, 2012, 05:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesm029

I am trying to settle of a reel for a new seeker hercules 60XH rod this will be used for jigging and some bottom fishing.

I have researched these two reels and they were two that have been suggested. I see some of the other smaller trinidads have had issue with anti reverse. I know the Ocea jigger is slightly different being the japanese version with different handle.

How do these two compare internally what anti reverse system do they use? How do they differ fromt he smaller trinidads?
I do own a baja special that I could use or may consider something else like even a spinning reel saragosa or similar.
Please offer your advise what would work best for this application, fishing would be under 100# maybe the odd halibut could be large but rarely.

It looks like the Trinidad 40 N may be discontinued but there are still some around here is what i found for the description

Features & Specifications:

Gear Ratio: 4.9:1
6 ANTI-RUST ball bearings + 1 stainless steel roller bearing
Super stopper anti-reverse plus backup anti-reverse pawl
One piece machined aluminum frame
One piece forged aluminum side plates
Precision "click" star drag; Dartanium drag washers
Adjustable tension clicker; centrifugal brake weights
The reel weights 28 oz
The line capacity is: 20lb/440yds/, 25lb/330yds, 30lb/275yds, 50lb/165yds

alantani

hard choice,  i got my brother a 4000p and it is too big for the jig stick that he has.  a trinidad 16 narrow would have been better. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

hi james
could you let us know how the hercules rod goes.i have just ordered one.anybody esle used one?thanks

jamesm029

The rod is very light and very well made it is most certainly not anything like any of the other seeker rods I own. It is a bit faster in the tip than some other light jigging rods I have seen like Jigging masters and OTI. I would still say this rod is more of a parabolic rod. For its weight its has some backbone I have pulled up some 30-50# fish with ease. I am currently using it with a reel that is too heavy for this rod and want something like a trinidad or similar.

Over all the quality of the rod is great , just realize this is not a heavy rod it can lift but I am sure if you high tip it like any light rod you are looking for trouble. use it correctly and its as good as it gets in this class

wallacewt

day0ne

The Trinidad and the Ocea Jigger are pretty much the same reel, except for a few things. The OJ has a 4 to 1 ratio (in the P or "Power" model), it has a spool lock feature, and is a different color. There are a few other little things, but those are the main ones
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter