Penn 200 'Bite Detector?'

Started by sundancer, February 17, 2023, 11:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

All

Good day.

Life has taken me away for quite awhile.  Hope all is well.

Question for you.

I see a Penn 200 and 160 with a 'springy thing' on the Post.

Your thoughts??
Steve
Miles to go.....,

foakes

It is an "anti-backlash" aftermarket device to help prevent bird nests when casting conventional surf reels.

There are a few variations of these from makers over the years.

Some more complicated, some less so —- some have brake assemblies inside the tailplate to help slow spool over-run.

These are typically seen on Squidders & Surfmasters.

Today, most guys concerned about over-run will use magnets in Conventionals —- or more common today, they use a spinning reel.

But these old devices do work.

I have at least one on a Squidder 145 that is very impressively engineered and installed.

Best,  Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sundancer

Fred

Thank you very much. 

Interesting concept. 

Steve
Miles to go.....,

oldmanjoe

:)   Do you have more pictures of this reel .
 Here is a thread about another version of this concept of anti back lash system .
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21590.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sundancer

Here.  From the Ebay ad.
Miles to go.....,

JasonGotaProblem

Given some of the eBay listings I've seen I'm surprised they didn't call it a kick stand.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sundancer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 21, 2023, 12:04:07 PMGiven some of the eBay listings I've seen I'm surprised they didn't call it a kick stand.

Lololol. -. True, don't ask how many of those 'helping hands' soldering stands they are selling as fly tying vises..

Steve
Miles to go.....,