Hello from the Olympic Peninsula

Started by cbamer, February 18, 2023, 12:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbamer

I'm usually a high lakes and rivers fisher, but my grandkids' recent pestering hubster and me about surf fishing caused me to go searching for some old SW reels to freshen up for some surf perch on the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I'm now the owner of a Mitchell 300, a 302 and a 306, and boy, are they dirty! I fished with a 300 from the time I was about 10 (it was my grown-up reel, after the 304).

My dad (89) also just gave me all of his fly tying and fishing stuff, so I've got to learn to do something besides rinse, dry, oil his old Mitchells and DAM Quicks!

I've been reading like crazy this week while waiting for my membership to be approved, so I hope everyone will forgive me when I begin posting my newbie reel tech questions.

I do have a small-world question for you SoCal fishers: anybody here know or remember the Hidden Rod Fly Shop in Signal Hill, CA? Or maybe even John Shields (RIP) who used to camp and fish the lakes all summer long on the Eastside of the Sierra Nevada, high above Lee Vining?

I appreciate how friendly and approachable the experts on this site are! I look forward to participating as best I can!
Carla
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

cbamer

Rats. First post and managed to double AND triple post photos. Sheesh!
Sorry 😣

foakes

Welcome aboard, Carla —-

Didn't know John Shields,  bit I do know the Eastern Sierras fairly well. 

Elmo Sutton, Dan Bryant, Alec Brown, Martin Strelnick, and many more were all good friends.

If you need my help on the DQ's, Mitchells, and a few of the other brands —- I have parts and some knowledge of those as well.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Carla good to have you here.  A better bunch of guys you'd be hard pressed to find.  Ask away no questions are dumb questions.  You are going to love that old 302.  I cut my teeth with my pops fishing the 300 and 302.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Brewcrafter

Welcome Carla from the SoCal Inland Empire.  My wife has family up on the peninsula in Sequim - very pretty country!  Welcome to the forum! - john

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Hi Carla, nice collection of reels you have, & welcome from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Carla, you are in the right place.  Dominick, San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cbamer