Mitch 300 & 306 - my first tear downs

Started by cbamer, February 18, 2023, 12:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbamer

Greetings! I posted a formal 'hello' on the Welcome board, and as I threatened to then, here I am now with the need for some advice, and maybe a part or two...

I picked up a 300, 302, and 306 at a salvage yard for $5 each. I'm hoping to prep all of them for surf perch. I started with the 300, because, easiest. I hope.

Forgive me please if my pictures aren't clear enough. Feedback is welcomed!373F5695-D098-47E0-912E-042ECB72E394.jpeg

So I got it all apart with no issues. A couple of the screws were already a tiny bit boogered, but not bad, and not by me! One of the washers looks clipped: I can't tell from the schematics if it's made like that or if it needs replacing:79549A5D-C113-4668-9612-E32A518F5DB4.jpeg

I also have a bail problem, but I'll stop here and make sure my pics are loading correctly. Thanks in advance for your patience!

cbamer

Although the outside was pretty grubby and the inside of the rotor was kinda gritty, it cleaned up pretty well. I used goo gone and WD40 cuz that's what I have already. There is a weird, clear residue on the faces of the two main gears (in the center of the first picture). It's almost like adhesive. I can sort of manually rub/scrape it off, but not all of it. What else should I use? Here's what it looked like before cleaning, in case the grease provides a clue: 567D20A0-13E3-4549-9CD6-99555C4E9624.jpeg

It was so clean inside, I have a theory that someone serviced it and then couldn't fix the bail, and gave it up...

Before I took it all apart, I took off the bail and re-positioned the bail spring (thanks all you gurus for those instructions). After I did that, I could trigger the bail with the lever, but no 'click' and the bail doesn't spring over. So here's the inside of the rotor cup before I took it all apart:C12DBC71-C882-42D0-9505-56270890AEBD.jpeg

And a close-up of the bail parts in case something wrong is obvious to everyone except me:C1230C34-0EDB-4924-B1A3-B95122B70B2E.jpeg

I had to order the Yamaha marine grease (in the 14oz cartridge) and the tan Cal's drag grease online, and those will both be here tomorrow. Meaning I could put it back together unless some parts look like they need replacing. I am most grateful for any advice you can spare. Thank you!!

cbamer

The serial number looks like D284310. D is 1974, yes?

foakes

Nice clean up, Carla!

The 300 is not going to be a good reel for salt.

306 is better, 302 is made for salt.

My Aunt used to live up in Bremerton for a good many years (County Librarian).  Seems most of the reels I bought from yard sales and second hand stores had a certain amount of salt
issues.  If you use the 300 in the salt —- expect frequent tear downs and cleaning —- or a premature death.

I can send you any washers or other parts you may need.

Typically, the issue with the bail just needs a slight bending
Of the bail wire to free up any catching.

Just let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbamer

Thank you, Fred I have seen the same salt issues as I look for old reels.

Is that washer at the arrow supposed to be flat on one edge? Thanks for your kind offer of parts. The plastic gear on the spindle looks a bit chewed up. Is there a version of that part, fitting my reel, where thay gear is metal?

btw, I apologize to everyone for the duplicate pictures. Not yet sure what I did wrong...

Thank you!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: cbamer on February 18, 2023, 01:50:28 AMThank you, Fred I have seen the same salt issues as I look for old reels.

Is that washer at the arrow supposed to be flat on one edge? Thanks for your kind offer of parts. The plastic gear on the spindle looks a bit chewed up. Is there a version of that part, fitting my reel, where thay gear is metal?

btw, I apologize to everyone for the duplicate pictures. Not yet sure what I did wrong...

Thank you!

Carla,
You didn't do anything wrong posting your photos, it's a glitch in the attachment system that has yet to be fixed. Once you add the photo and upload it you need to delete the link in your post. Deleting that link will will only post one copy of the photo you uploaded. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Yeah, "D" means '74. Never seen that washer(rotor head to gear box) with a flat edge on about 7 300's(including a D) I've worked on. I'd check the fit and if nothing's tweaked in the gear box/oilite bushing area, replace with good one.
The bail spring looks good in the picture, so as Fred indicated your bail wire could be misaligned. Any deep rub marks on the bail arm?
The 302 is where things get "fun"...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Quote from: cbamer on February 18, 2023, 01:50:28 AMIs that washer at the arrow supposed to be flat on one edge?

No, it has been dammaged.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

cbamer

Tommy- thanks for the tip. When posting a photo I'm prompted first to upload, then to insert. To clarify, do I then go back into the text box and delete the link?

cbamer

And thank you Gfish and Keta, I will replace that washer. Is it the kind of thing I can do locally, if I had the correct ID/OD/thickness? Where would I get those measurements? I'd hate to trouble Fred just for a single wadher! Maybe I'll start on the 302 and 306 I have, and combine orders.

If it gets fun on the 302, is the 306 more or less 'fun'?

foakes

It is not an issue, Carla —-

It is just a stamp and an envelope.  No big deal.

N/C.

Let me know if you want one.

I do not think you will find the right thickness or material (copper) at a hardware store —- but I may be wrong.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Quote from: cbamer on February 18, 2023, 09:37:26 PMTommy- thanks for the tip. When posting a photo I'm prompted first to upload, then to insert. To clarify, do I then go back into the text box and delete the link?

Just click the upload you do not need to click insert.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Quote from: cbamer on February 18, 2023, 09:40:45 PMAnd thank you Gfish and Keta, I will replace that washer. Is it the kind of thing I can do locally, if I had the correct ID/OD/thickness? Where would I get those measurements? I'd hate to trouble Fred just for a single wadher! Maybe I'll start on the 302 and 306 I have, and combine orders.

If it gets fun on the 302, is the 306 more or less 'fun'?

"Fun" means a challenge. The 302, for me was, but it was also fun to the point where I decided to do a tutorial of sorts—-long-winded and overly detailed which is a good indicator of of really getting into it for me. The drag washer arrangement is complicated, so lay 'em out in the order they come out. Once I understood how they worked together, I have since had fun experimenting with different arrangements.
The 306 was simpler for me, so less fun. The little rotor key and pin made it kinna interesting. Look for them and don't lose 'em!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

cbamer

cbamer

Quote from: Gfish on February 18, 2023, 10:31:13 PM"Fun" means a challenge. The 302, for me was, but it was also fun to the point where I decided to do a tutorial of sorts—-long-winded and overly detailed which is a good indicator of of really getting into it for me. The drag washer arrangement is complicated, so lay 'em out in the order they come out. Once I understood how they worked together, I have since had fun experimenting with different arrangements.
The 306 was simpler for me, so less fun. The little rotor key and pin made it kinna interesting. Look for them and don't lose 'em!
That's what I thought you meant- So the 306 will be a more simple tear down, but the 302 more difficult, interesting, and also will yield more insights. btw, I already read your 302 tute: so helpful, it lures me into thinking I can do it. Thank you