Searching for Tyrnos 50 LRS drag washers

Started by PetesReelRepair, February 19, 2023, 05:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetesReelRepair

The Shimano part is TGT1424, which isn't available anywhere as far as I can tell.  Folks like Smooth Drag don't carry these, I assume because with the tabs they're harder to manufacture from carbontex stock sheets.

Some ebay seller seems to think the drag from the TLD50 is compatible, I highly doubt it.  Shimano will not restock the correct ones (with new part number) until July.

Anyone have a bead on these?  Need 3.  Don't care if they are Shimano or aftermarket Carbontex.  Thanks!

Marlinmate

Can Smoothdrag make them?     They made me some drag washers for Shimano Torsa 30's. 

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Donnyboat

Thats Shimano for you, life time garantee, witch they  say is ten year, but your lucky to get a part for it after 4 years, but I really cant see why you dont cut you own, its not all that hard, you can use veneers & a scribe, or some punches, or you tube it, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: Marlinmate on February 19, 2023, 09:41:53 PMCan Smoothdrag make them?     They made me some drag washers for Shimano Torsa 30's. 

I asked if they carried that model and the answer was no, perhaps I should ask differently, as in, will you cut some for me?

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 19, 2023, 11:15:00 PMThats Shimano for you, life time garantee, witch they  say is ten year, but your lucky to get a part for it after 4 years, but I really cant see why you dont cut you own, its not all that hard, you can use veneers & a scribe, or some punches, or you tube it, good luck cheers Don.
Hey Don, you're absolutely right, I could get the right thickness sheet of stock and cut them off of the shape of an existing washer.  I've thought about it, but I only do this part time and have to be selective about which services I'm willing to offer, especially those that significantly increase labor time and cost.

handi2

It looks just like the TLD washer,
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Quote from: Donnyboat on February 19, 2023, 11:15:00 PMThats Shimano for you, life time garantee, witch they  say is ten year, but your lucky to get a part for it after 4 years,

I have a 10 year old Shimano reel I paid $400 for that they no longer have parts for.  This is why I no longer buy their reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: handi2 on February 20, 2023, 03:11:34 AMIt looks just like the TLD washer,

There's some dimensional difference, no idea if it's just the tabs, inner diameter, outer diameter, who knows.  I just had a TLD 50 in the shop too, wish I could've compared.

Tempting to buy one TLD drag new and see...

handi2

I have plenty of them

I went back to make sure that I had some. I have plenty of the Carbontex washer for the Shimano TLD 50's it looks identical to the one shown.

I will measure one out. Why measurements do you need
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: handi2 on February 20, 2023, 11:34:59 PMI have plenty of them

I went back to make sure that I had some. I have plenty of the Carbontex washer for the Shimano TLD 50's it looks identical to the one shown.

Hey thanks!!

I could use the inner diameter, outer diameter, how far the tab sticks out from the edge, and how wide it is.  Really appreciate it.

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: handi2 on February 20, 2023, 11:34:59 PMI have plenty of them

Happened to call Shimano to check on an order, re-engaged on this topic while I had someone knowledgeable on the phone.  The Tyrnos 50 and TLD 50 drags are in fact identical.  Shimano is combining them under a single new part number.  Just had to speak to the right rep, who happens to be just down the road in SC.

Could I possibly buy three washers from you sir?

EDIT: my supplier actually has them.  At least you know they're dual use now though.  I never would have pressed Shimano about it again if you hadn't said something.  Thank you!

Marlinmate

[/quote]

Shimano is combining them under a single new part number.  Just had to speak to the right rep, who happens to be just down the road in SC.

[/quote]

I was told by Shimano that all their parts #'s are getting a makeover.  They sent me a giant spreadsheet that shows what the  new parts numbers are going to.  Happy to share with folks if the PM me their email addresses.
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

PetesReelRepair

Shimano is combining them under a single new part number.  Just had to speak to the right rep, who happens to be just down the road in SC.

[/quote]

I was told by Shimano that all their parts #'s are getting a makeover.  They sent me a giant spreadsheet that shows what the  new parts numbers are going to.  Happy to share with folks if the PM me their email addresses.
[/quote]

This is long overdue from a configuration management perspective.  Shimano's system doesnt currently do a very good job of showing which substitute or alternate part numbers are applicable across all reels that use that part.  I noticed this recently when placing an order for Saragosa and Talica parts.  The part number from the schematic may show as out of stock, but you have to do separate research to figure out that it's been replaced by a new part number.  They ought to be directly linked in the parts system.  And that substitute part number may not show all the different reels it's used on.  Strange that Shimano would have this problem, when Penn does a fine job of parts configuration management.

kevin cozens

BUY A SHEET OF CARBONTEX AND MAKE YOUR OWN. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT THICKNESS