Daiwa Freams - Pitting on AR sleeve; can I save it?

Started by JoeSydAU, February 21, 2023, 10:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeSydAU

Hi everyone!

The one way clutch and AR sleeve on my Freams 4000 are shot. I contacted Daiwa Australia, but they're out of sleeves for this model..

There is a fair bit of pitting which I've tried to sand and polish, but still looks and sounds rough.

Is there any way to save this sleeve?

TIA

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JoeSydAU

Quote from: handi2 on February 21, 2023, 11:27:52 AMI probably have one

Can you measure it somehow

Hi Hindi2,

Dimensions are:
Outside diameter 11mm
Inside diameter 9mm
Height 11.7mm

If you have one that fits and willing to part with it, I'd happily buy it from you

Thanks again

JoeSydAU

Has anyone has success with fabricating these? Also thinking to grind it down a bit and see if I can find similar gauge pipe to use as a "sleeve on a sleeve"

JoeSydAU

Last update from me. I asked contacts all over the world, but it seems nobody has parts for this reel. Determined to find a way to salvage the reel over a single sleeve, I used a brass pipe to create a new one.

To make it fit, I had to shave about .5mm off the original AR sleeve, which is a 5 minute job with a lathe. I didn't have one or knew anyone locally that I could borrow, so it was a few hours of grinding down with a Dremel to get it to fit.

End result is in the picture below. Would I recommend this? No. Unless you have a metal lathe..

20230309_164222.jpg
20230309_164219.jpg 

oldmanjoe

That is a lot work .   I wonder if the brass may be to soft for the bearing to grab ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

nelz

Couple of suggestions...

I have a similar situation with a Daiwa that uses that same type of roller bearing (it has that little on/off tab) and a replacement is nowhere to be found. What you can do is find a standard roller bearing that fits but has no tab, leaving the reel with anti-reverse permanently on as many are nowadays anyway.

As for the sleeve, well, unfortunately, not likely that fix will last very long, the brass will wear out quickly. You might find one from a different model that fits, happens alot with Daiwas. Good luck on the project.

Brewcrafter

Thought from the cheap seats here:  VERY light skim coat of JB Weld to just fill the pits, then afterwards spin the sleeve with a drill and some very fine wet/dry until you have a smooth surface.  Repeat if still any pinholes/pits.  I have done some pretty crazy repairs with JB Weld, including course threading in an application where helicoils would not work (pipe nipple). - john

JoeSydAU

Thanks for the suggestions! I thought about JB weld, but was worried I wouldn't be able to make it even and maybe cause some other issues. In hindsight, that might have been the better option.

I like the idea about just putting in a one way bearing, I'll have to see if there are any available that would fit.

It's good enough for now, was more a chance to experiment with some new ideas. The reel itself is nothing special, but I don't like the idea of throwing something out that is 99% good, because 1% is broken..