Daiwa STTLD30HSH “Binding Issue”

Started by ExcessiveAngler, February 21, 2023, 09:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcessiveAngler

Well, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, I'm sure somebody will help me out lol, and move it to the correct place!
So, I picked this Saltist hyper speed up not too long ago, "lo and behold" my deal was not such a deal after all!
The reel seemed just fine, until the first time I actually tried to use the lever drag, but not at a super high setting and just binded right up and has not been right since!
The first time I went and spooled it up, didn't see or feel this issue, so this leads me to believe it was already screwed up when I bought it, " for such a good deal" lol!
I was looking at the Black/Blue Saltist rebuild tutorial, and these basically look to be the same reel, with different colors and gears. So, I'm stumped, after messing with this reel myself, and somebody else, with no luck!  I guess the first thing I have to do, is see if anything is missing, because on the video, I saw that there was a small washer missing in that particular reel and didn't seem to affect it's performance!
Any help would be greatly appreciated from the community, with many thanks in advance!

EA

nelz

Does the spool spin freely when in free-spool?

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: nelz on February 21, 2023, 09:15:47 PMDoes the spool spin freely when in free-spool?
It sure does, and spins quite freely for a long time too!

EA

nelz

Maybe the drag star is pressing up against the sideplate?

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: nelz on February 21, 2023, 09:30:38 PMMaybe the drag star is pressing up against the sideplate?
That would be kind of hard, it's a lever drag reel my friend!
So we can rule that right out!

EA

nelz

Oh! Well in that case sounds like the pinion bearing is shot.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: nelz on February 21, 2023, 10:07:00 PMOh! Well in that case sounds like the pinion bearing is shot.
Someone else mentioned that as well!
Anyway, to check the bearing, to see if it's bad or knot(lol)?

EA

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ExcessiveAngler

Well, the big guy has spoken!
Thanks Alan, I'll pop it out and give it a measure, as I have some other lever drag bearings here and you never know.
It's doubtful, but maybe I'll get lucky lol!
Thank you, kindly, sir

EA

ExcessiveAngler

Well, I have some information to add to the this repair question!
My reel is fixed and is an absolute monster!
Got so excited forgot to say thank you lol!
Guess what manufacturers pinion bearing is interchangeable with this Daiwa Saltist LD 30 pinion bearing?
No peeking at schematics either, be honest!

EA

nelz

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: nelz on February 25, 2023, 05:35:24 AMWild guess: Avet?
No sir!
I do have an SX MC here, but did not take that apart and try it!
I've only used that Avet 3-4 times, so I didn't want to mess with that one!

EA

ExcessiveAngler

I'll probably be up for another hour or so. I'm sure the rest of the clan will be up soon, if not already lol!
Getting late over here, it's 12:50 AM where I'm at. So, I'll see if anybody else wants takes a guess, then I'll post the answer shortly!
Edit: Hint- It's not a newer reel!

EA

ExcessiveAngler

The answer is:Penn GLS25

The Penn's bearing looks to be a different type of material. The Daiwa bearing is black on the outer race, I do believe it's some type of corrosion treatment, but not sure either. I just know they're two different colors, hopefully somebody can chime in!
So, as soon as I put that Penn bearing in the reel, it immediately fixed the problem!
I don't see why that bearing wouldn't last if I packed it correctly with grease!
It also looks like the Daiwa has a seal on the lever for the drag, if I'm not mistaken!
So, thanks again to everyone who responded!

EA

nelz

Glad you got it fixed. So, yes, Daiwa's "corrosion resistant bearings" have that color. Unfortunately, what's more likely to do in the pinion bearing is the sideways pressure from high drag settings. It's a bad design but still used in the majority of LD reels.

Looks like you're on the way to becoming a regular here, EA, keep the topics coming!