Zebco Cardinals

Started by buckfever, February 24, 2023, 03:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckfever

So I need some help. I have a pinion gear shaft for a Zebco Cardinal. Problem is I don't know 16774648365932264096512547857876.jpg if it fits a size 3 or size 6. They have different part numbers and look alike. Is there a way to tell? Length or something. Thanks for your help.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's the shaft for the worm gear. That's what the schematics for the Cardinal 6-7 says. Sorry I haven't figured out how to add pictures yet.

alantani

i've never worked on these.  anyone else?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

I work on a lot of these, they are excellent reels.

Was waiting for Tommy to respond —- since he is our resident expert on these.

Are you referring to the worm pinion gear —- or the spool shaft?

Glad to measure a couple up for you after a pic or two —- and your clarification.

Easy to do —- just need to know which part.

Best Always, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

What Fred said, I'm confused, too. A photo would sure help,  maybe with some diameter & length dimensions.

I'm guessing you're meaning pinion gear since it's near impossible to confuse the main shafts. The 6 & 7 shafts are steel and the 3 & 4 shafts are brass.

With regards to the pinion gears the 6 & 7s are the same and interchangeable and much larger in length and diameter than the 3s or the 4s.

Once we figure out what part you're referring to giving you a measurement is simple, Fred or I, either one, can post it for you.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

buckfever

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 24, 2023, 06:34:56 PMWhat Fred said, I'm confused, too. A photo would sure help,  maybe with some diameter & length dimensions.

I'm guessing you're meaning pinion gear since it's near impossible to confuse the main shafts. The 6 & 7 shafts are steel and the 3 & 4 shafts are brass.

With regards to the pinion gears the 6 & 7s are the same and interchangeable and much larger in length and diameter than the 3s or the 4s.

Once we figure out what part you're referring to giving you a measurement is simple, Fred or I, either one, can post it for you.
it's the shaft for the worm gear. That's what the schematics for the Zebco  Cardinal 6-7 says. Sorry I haven't figured out how to add pictures yet. Rookies right. Lol. Thank you!

foakes

Cardinal "4" shaft is 4 1/4", brass and thick.

Cardinal "3" shaft is 3 1/2", brass and much thinner.

Let us know if this helps.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

buckfever

Quote from: buckfever on February 24, 2023, 03:36:27 AMSo I need some help. I have a pinion gear shaft for a Zebco Cardinal. Problem is I don't know 16774648365932264096512547857876.jpg if it fits a size 3 or size 6. They have different part numbers and look alike. Is there a way to tell? Length or something. Thanks for your help.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's the shaft for the worm gear. That's what the schematics for the Cardinal 6-7 says. Sorry I haven't figured out how to add pictures yet.
Thanks for your patience. So I figured out how to insert a picture. Twice. Here's the part I'm referring to.

Midway Tommy

That opens a whole new window. What reel are you trying to install it into? The Card 3 is the smallest and the 6/7 is the largest. If it's for a 6/7 it won't fit into a Card 3 bearing or the oilite bushing at the rear, plus it would be way too long. What makes you think it might not be for a Card 4?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

buckfever

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 27, 2023, 04:56:20 AMThat opens a whole new window. What reel are you trying to install it into? The Card 3 is the smallest and the 6/7 is the largest. If it's for a 6/7 it won't fit into a Card 3 bearing or the oilite bushing at the rear, plus it would be way too long. What makes you think it might not be for a Card 4?
I'm actually not trying to install it. I am going to sell them but I want to make sure I list it correctly. I'm pretty sure it's for the 6-7.