Coxe 65C Do-All Help; And Some Tweaking

Started by Paul Roberts, February 24, 2023, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I'm in need of the schematic for the Coxe 65C Do-All, a heavy freshwater/Lt saltwater troll/cast reel. It came to me with a drag stack issue, cranking tightening up as the drag tightens. Either a part is missing or the stack is in the wrong order. I'm guessing the latter.

Here's an image of the stack order as it is. Anyone have a 65C schematic? Or do you have advice as to proper stack arrangement?

Does the location of the two leather washers look right? All metal washers are keyed (don't rotate). The gear post does rotate within the leather drag washers and the eared washer. The reel is not free spool but has an AR lever -the ratchet in the stack.

Bryan Young

My guess is you are missing one fiber washer, #5, and it should stack as shown from 1-6 in the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Paul Roberts

Paul Roberts

OK...
Bryan, thanks for steering me in the right direction. There was indeed a drag washer missing, #6 in the image below, showing the correct order, top to bottom. Once I had the missing washer in place, the rest simply had to be lined up: alternating metal-leather..., eared washer within gear, and ratchet with AR dog.

One original washer was in good shape, the other two I cut from leather. All coated with Shimano drag grease. I also managed to lose the tiniest part in the reel, a pin that is inserted into the gear post. I made another with a piece of baling wire, which was the perfect diameter.

Voila! This 65C is in very nice condition with little wear. It now spins like a top and with a good strong drag. Next up is a Pflueger Rocket that also came in with a similar drag issue.

Thanks again, Bryan!

Paul Roberts

Took her for a spin. 50lb PE braid, 1980's 7ft Fenwick Triggerstick, 7/8oz test plug. This reel has no AB mechanism, unlike the Pflueger Rocket, and yielded 17ipt with a full spool. Took some firm and continuous thumbing to keep things in check. I think, for casting purposes, the reel could benefit from an AB mech and an aluminum spool. Took a bit of oomph to get the spool going and firm consistent thumbing all the way through, tightening at the end to slow it down. I was able to get 50-60ft with relative ease with an about 80ft max, but that took some oomph and good consistently firm thumbing. Might be a good candidate to experiment with magnetics.

One thing this reel may be lacking (there are no specific schematics that I can find) are spool spindle/end cap thrust bearings (plates). I found I had to tighten the end caps pretty tight to stop the spool rim from ringing, as if there's too much play in the caps.

Took her back apart and found a bronze thrust bearing in the face side cap, none in the tail side where I'd added a felt oil patch. Seems it needed a bit more. I didn't have a replacement thrust plate so I fashioned "something", a thin polypropylene disc under a slick mylar disc with felt oil reservoir disc (poking a hole to allow the spindle to reach the makeshift thrust bearing. Dunno how long it'll last but it cast just fine. Still requires the firm consistent thumbing.

Sonnett

The Do-all is like Jack -- "Jack of all trades and master of none". I've always considered it a trolling reel.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Paul Roberts on March 07, 2023, 09:13:13 PMTook a bit of oomph to get the spool going and firm consistent thumbing all the way through,
Your descriptions make me relate to the Shakespeare Service reel.  They want some weight and need to work hard to be at their best.  At that time though, fishermen had to figure "reel stuff" out to get a bait in the water.

That's a good-looking reel, Paul.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Shellbelly on March 09, 2023, 04:04:32 PM
Quote from: Paul Roberts on March 07, 2023, 09:13:13 PMTook a bit of oomph to get the spool going and firm consistent thumbing all the way through,
Your descriptions make me relate to the Shakespeare Service reel.  They want some weight and need to work hard to be at their best.  At that time though, fishermen had to figure "reel stuff" out to get a bait in the water.

That's a good-looking reel, Paul.
Yes, I'm learning a lot about what makes baitcasting reels work. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be doing much casting! :)

I think the 65C is a sharp looking reel too. I like the looks better than the Rocket. But, so far, the one Rocket I have outperforms the one Do-All I have.

Shellbelly

Quote from: Paul Roberts on March 12, 2023, 01:11:41 AMYes, I'm learning a lot about what makes baitcasting reels work. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be doing much casting!

And we're learning too.  Thank you for bringing these around. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Paul Roberts

Thanks for that. Sometimes wonder if I'm obsessing to myself.