Something not right

Started by jtwill98, March 02, 2023, 03:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwill98

I'm sure Fred will see it immediately, but something is not right with this Mitchell 300.

Mitchell-300-odd.JPG

Gfish

Wonder how they did that? Don't see a practical use to it.
It's a pre-Garcia oldie? Don't have the "300" on it either.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

I never take the A/R "bañana" switch off when cleaning these old 300's —- unless there is a loose issue due to being abused or worn.

They are pressed onto the inner mechanism —- and it is a tight fit using a "fluted shaft".

No reason to take them off.  But since someone obviously did so —- they forgot the proper orientation when assembling it.

Could need new parts —- hopefully not —- because the fluted shaft seldom tightens up after removal.  It takes either a press —- and the flutes need to be lined up — or it just ruins the part by not ever able to tighten solidly.

I have also used a flat-faced punch very carefully with the body/plate solidly supported by a soft but firm surface.

Or just new parts is what I generally end up doing.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jtwill98

I have to agree with Fred. My guess is someone went to service it and pulled the reverse lever off and assembled it in the opposite direction.  They probably realized it after assembly and said "Oh crap" and left it that way. 

The paint wear on the reel (it's available on ebay) indicates that it has seen good usage and probably has some wear inside, especially on the shims.

It just jumped out at me that something was off in the picture, so I thought let's have some fun with it.