Pflueger Rocket 1355

Started by Paul Roberts, March 04, 2023, 07:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

I'm following up a Coxe 65C Do-All with a Pflueger Rocket, the 1355 model. The Rocket also falls into the category of "service reels". Not sure what that means, or meant in the day. It's a name apparently introduced by Shakespeare with their Service models for the same general purpose. These reels found their niche mostly as heavy freshwater trolling reels it seems. Possibly due to the popularity of trolling, a lot of these reels were made, and that includes a lot of Rockets. Eight Rocket models were produced over its long run, from 1940 to 1973, after which it fell behind technologically, and possibly succumbed to production costs as well. They are high quality reels.

These "service" reels are direct-drive reels —"knuckle-busters"— for casting and for letting line out. They have what looks like a freespool lever, as seen on many early saltwater reel designs. However, the lever is not a FS lever but an early anti-reverse (AR) lever. These reels also have a slip clutch drag with "star wheel" (star drag). The AR mech is a simple dog and ratchet that works, but clicks —rather loudly— after being engaged. This annoyingly audible AR, and the fact that such reels could indeed be real knuckle busters —they are big solid reels made for potentially big fish— is my guess as to why they're mostly discussed as a trolling reel.

Most also came with a heavy chrome over brass spool that should make it cast-able only with pretty heavy weights; Remains to be seen as I've yet to put line on one. Aluminum spooled models were introduced at one point. I would assume they would cast better, but you'd still be stuck with that incessant clicking while working a lure. However I am undaunted (or kidding myself) as I'll be giving the Rocket, and the Coxe Do-All, a go on the casting pond and, if all goes well, with our muskies and cats here.

Upon dismantling, I checked the existing drag stack order against a schematic from ORCA. Drag power in such early reels is often on the weak or short-travel side, as they come with few, and small, drag washers. The Rocket has but two, called Bakelite in the schematics. I replaced one with greased upholstery leather, which seem to do a surprisingly good job, and I'm satisfied with the result, although we'll see what the big fish say.

I cleaned, polished and lubed to my heart's content and found all intact except the AB post. The leather friction shoe was worn and the spool wall was scored slightly from the AB cap. Previous owner must have used it with the AB post screwed down tight. I replaced the shoe using heavy bull hide leather (soft side out) and a leather punch, glued in place with contact cement. I also polished the spool wall.

After reassembly, and spool balancing (adding felt pads in the spool cap ends), the reel spun like a top. The handle, though, made a bothersome clicking sound due to play in the main gear post -not an uncommon problem on many older casting reels. I fixed this by making a tiny washer (using a hole punch and very thin plastic from a yogurt cup -plastics are amazing nowadays) that fit on the gear post retaining screw. I tried felt but it just bound things up. The plastic is very slick.

Another issue came to light as I tested the reel: The AB mech, when engaged, made an intermittent rasping sound against the spool. Ach! Looking closely, I could see that the spool wall on the reel's face side was bent (possibly dropped?). :( The bend was slight, not noticeable when hand spinning, until the AB was engaged. So... next came an attempt to straighten that spool wall.

Taking the spool back out, I could see where someone had applied a plier (wrapped in something soft) in an attempt to fix it. I went about marking where the bend was with a marker. First with the spool back in the reel to observe the gap against the inner plate. Then, out of the reel and silhouetted against a white backdrop, I rolled the spool across a flat surface, and then spun it (in its tail plate bearing). I then attempted my own padded plier work to it. Suffice it to say, and predictably, I wasn't entirely successful. I made it a bit straighter, but the AB still rasps. Likely, the spool will vibrate at casting rpm's, and I suspect the AB's chatter will be a bit much to bear. A functioning AB mech is helpful with heavy-spooled reels. This Rocket really needs a replacement spool. If I do it, I'll try to find an aluminum one, from a 1355L model. Perhaps it'll pop right in?

Paul Roberts

So... I took this Rocket for a spin today. 50lb PE braid, a 7/8oz test plug, and a 1980's Fenwick Eagle Triggerstick. The AB did indeed chatter when tightened down a ways. But the reel cast well without, with no noticeable vibrations from the slightly out-of-round spool wall, giving 80+ft casts without much trouble. It's a tad slow, by modern standards —I get 18ipt with a not quite full spool— but it was scarcely noticeable; I got that lure to slide, dart, rip, and burn just fine. The reel will fish. :fish  Now if I could only muffle that AR ratchet.

Sonnett

Paul, I have a boatload of parts for Rockets and Shakespeare Service reels. Some are used but most new and unused. If you stop by my place I will gladly give you many pounds of these parts as I have no use for them.

JasonGotaProblem

I have one of these on the bench. It's pretty low on my list of reels to clean up and use, but it looks cool.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

Hi, Bill. If I ever make it over your way I'll make sure the back of the truck is cleaned out. :)

J, mine had been sitting in a box for a couple years before I got to it. It was time; Hoping to get some musky fishing in this year.

Paul Roberts

Bought a parts reel to replace the spool in my 1355. Since it will be used mostly for casting, rather than trolling, I looked for a 1355L model, with the aluminum spool ("L" standing for "lightweight spool"). And it swapped perfectly. The "L" spool weighed less than half the chromed brass 1355 spool! Didn't realize there would be that much of a difference. Although the original spool cast well, it'll be interesting to give the new spool a spin and find out what difference it might make. In general, aluminum spooled DD reels I own are much easier to cast than the heavier spooled versions. Heavy spool models gain more from an AB mech. Basically, the light spools both start-up and slow down quicker, the two times when backlashing is most at risk. Can't wait to give this Al-spooled Rocket a go.

Lastly, in listening closely, there was an even tempo'd rasping 'glitch' sound that I isolated to the LW mech. Pawl was the first suspect, but it was in fine shape, matching the spare in the faceplate. The block and line guide were a bit floppy, but I found the glitch occurred only at the face end of the LW. LW gear? Fine inspection yielded no issues there. Grooves were all sharp and clean. When the reel was spun, the glitch would actually stop the progress of the line guide, and the guide would tip to one side as it passed that very point in the grooved pillar the tip of the guide rides in. The glitch sound was the tip of the guide making contact with the pillar. So, to be anal about it -after all, the LW is the place to be anal, having the greatest effect on casting efficiency- I used a fine file and sand paper and knocked that offending little nub down. It worked, the LW is now smooth, even, and silent, all the way across and back. The reel is about as close to spinning "like glass" as I think I can get it, short of lapping the gears. Hmmmm....