Rookie Mistake

Started by reelynew, March 04, 2023, 10:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

I also go to 2nd Chance to get information.  Never disappointed from that perspective.  I do cringe a little at his handling of certain vintage reels and parts but they aren't my reels and I try to stick to why I'm there. I can't help but appreciate the resource and dedication he is sharing. 

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Brewcrafter

Quote from: reelynew on March 06, 2023, 05:23:01 AMI think I have an idea on where the issue could be.  I think it could be this particular part inside of the rotor where the bail trips.  It seems as though I can easily swing the bail back and forth by hand manually, but when the rotor spins around the body and goes to cam against the ramp it is not budging and tripping the bail. 

Does this sound reasonable? 

Back to the original challenge - in the photo that bail trip looks really chewed up.  I haven't been into one of these reels but that does not look like something you would get a smooth action on; only my .02 but I think you found the issue.  As far as a replacement/repair I will defer to the gurus... - john

Keta

I have been working on reels for over 55 years and make a lot of "old timers" mistakes.  I respect anyone that works on spinners, I detest working on them and only own a few.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

swede 53

The main business for Dennis of 2nd Chance Tackle is working on mainly Penn reels off of charter boats there in his area.They come to him in 5 gallon buckets with grime,salt,missing and broken parts,etc. He puts them back in working condition if the parts and time don't exceed replacement cost The fact that the reels will be back on the boat being abused or dropped over the side and fished by different people every day probably makes him less concerned with 100% removal of old grease than someone restoring a single reel for a customer or himself.I had to tear down a baitfeeder and his video was appreciated.

reelynew

Quote from: handi2 on March 06, 2023, 07:15:55 PMBack to the OP

Your bail trip lever hits that stationary part to cause it to flip over.

That stationary part looks like it's bent up on the leading edge. That might be the problem. Or is the problem.

It's supposed to be a smooth transition with the part being flush them rises up enough to flip the bail closed.

I haven't used the handle to close a bail arm in 35 years.

I always close them by hand. Its second nature now.

Thanks Keith - I will check that out.  I manually close the bail myself, but I wanted to make sure that this issue was not inside the case. 

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

reelynew

Quote from: foakes on March 06, 2023, 04:13:46 PMSometimes, we can get too "insulated" in our procedures and we need to realize that 90% of the "reel services" available to the general public —- are exactly like the way Dennis at 2nd Chance Tackle Does the reels that come across his bench.

I appreciate the fact that he is making these videos available to the angling world.

He is providing a good service —- free of charge to anyone.

Whether we choose to use his methods with regular mechanic's tools —- or go to higher levels of tools and expertise —- is entirely up to each of us.

Yeah, he doesn't use all of the right names for parts, and doesn't clean up everything to a pristine level, and doesn't have the perfect tools —- but he does give anyone interested a basic idea of a basic service to get the reel back to better operation.

Yes, most of us on Alan's site aspire and conduct our reel services to a much higher level —- and that is our choice as collectors, users, and reel techs.  But for production work and getting a reel back on the water —- his methods are perhaps a little crude —- but they are both effective and educational.

I think it is important to meet people where they are —- offer a different and higher approach to reel servicing and restoration —- using the best and the proper tools and a lot of experience.  But his way works also....

I enjoy using good and proper tools, good techniques, achieve near new results —- but there is a whole world out there that doesn't need to do that.

Frankly, the tools I use regularly are probably over the top.  The shop manuals and part numbers, and multiple benches and shops, plus spare parts are nice —- but 2nd Chance gets the job done also.

Some folks will become interested in working on reels at a higher level —- and others will just want to get back on the water with a smoother operating reel.

There is room for both reel nerds and first time amateurs.

Remember, we all started somewhere.

Best, Fred

Thank you for writing such a reflective post Fred. 

I hope that all who read this will chuckle a little bit and find it ironic.  Before I found this site, the very first place that I started in my search was with 2nd chance tackle and Dennis' videos.   

For some and myself in particular, his videos allowed me to more easily understand the many moving parts of a reel as I do not have a innate mechanical mind.  It gave me some confidence and when I felt the need to keep learning, I arrived here.

I too questioned a method of his too.  He would apply grease using a flathead, whereas I was taught by a machinist to use a flux brush.  One of the very next videos I watched, he started using a brush and he even mentioned that one of his viewers had suggested it.  I think he's pretty open minded. 

Before finding this forum, he answered a few questions of mine directly and when I thanked him, he said he wanted to help as many people for as long as he could.  That's a very noble statement. 

Thanks again for everyone's help,

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.