Some Winter Light Tackle Direct-Drive Fishing

Started by Paul Roberts, March 11, 2023, 01:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Finally got some fishing in as the ice has broken on the pond. I've been pleased, and surprised, that my light tackle direct-drives have been able to throw casting weights as light as 1/8oz, to about 30-35ft. But, I've found 3/16oz to be more manageable with lures in fishing conditions. ElazTech grubs ("Ned Rig", after Ned Kehde) are heavy so, paired with a 1/16oz head, they cast well and being buoyant they can be fished at a slow crawl. A clip-on overhead spinner adds a little weight too, and slows horizontal retrieve a bit more as well. The result has been some DD-caught catches. :)

These ice-out fish have remained deep and beyond effective reach from shore, but following an unseasonable 60F late February day, I managed three small bass, to 12-1/2". Our (new to us) pond is in need of attention, having a stunting problem, having been unmanaged for decades. But there are always a few individuals that manage to break the barrier. One I saw 3 times last year during the spawn looked to go 19, possibly 20inches.

Well, after blanking from shore with the recurring cold weather I broke out my float tube, and caught her! The day started with a coating of skim ice that mostly melted off by midday. She took a Ned Rig jig-n-grub 7ft down right on the 2nd shelf drop from shore. So, here she is, all 20" of her. I'm sure I'll see her again sometime in the future.

Oh yes, the rig was a Coxe 95C, 6-1/2ft CTS-blanked "faux vintage" glass rod I built, 14lb Fireline, 6lb fluorocarbon top-shot, and 3/16oz (total) "Ned Rig" grub. :fish

DougK

terrific, well done !
float tubing in 30-some degree water.. it must have been a long winter ;-)

Paul Roberts

:D Water was a balmy 42F. Actually, I'll break ice to fish for winter bass. Dress for it and I'm fine all day. Oddly, the second the sun dips into the trees, I feel the chill.

Cor

Bass fishing is great fun, but very little of it here. :(
Cornelis

Paul Roberts

Hi, Cor. I used to fish with a very good fishermen (a "Kingfisher" was what he called himself) who was visiting the US from Pretoria. I don't remember him talking about bass there in SA but he did have trout fishing, I believe in the higher elevations?