Dam Quick 1000. Bail problem solved by reading threads

Started by Fishgolfman, March 12, 2023, 03:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Got a used DQ 1000. Cleaned and lubed up and for life of me couldn't get bail to close properly! Well there is an important thread by Fred and pictured , to the problem of a rubber piece inside rotor for bail system. Would have saved me time ... chalk it up as learnings. Wonder how 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 series does bail systeml

foakes

The other (13) reels in this design have a completely different bail trip system, Stephan —-

They are the 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000

Plus the 1401, 2001, 3001, 4001, 5001

And the 1202, 2002, 3002.

When you start to play around with these reels —- it is apparent how well made and simply clever they are.

To me, these are the Apex of DAM Quick's best materials, design, and strongest reels.

Plus, once you learn a few simple techniques —- they are among the easiest to work on.

Unique engineering that has never been copied by other manufacturers —- guess because they were all too busy running for Asia.  DQ & Penn stayed behind longer than others.  And just kept pumping out top quality and durable reels.

The tiny 1000/1001 are a couple of my favorite all time reels.

Light, strong, clever, attractive —- and able to punch way above their weight class. 

All (15) reels in these (3) groups are among the toughest spinning reels ever manufactured by any maker —- before, or since. 

And fun to work on and even more fun to fish!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Yeah, I picked a never used 1001 in the box for $5 at our annual tackle flea market for that same reason. It had an extra rubber sleeve in the box, too, but it was dried out, cracked and fell apart when I tried to install it. I found that small correct size vinyl tubing works great as a cheap replacement, so I made ten and put them in the box.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Balvar24

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 12, 2023, 05:31:20 PMYeah, I picked a never used 1001 in the box for $5 at our annual tackle flea market for that same reason. It had an extra rubber sleeve in the box, too, but it was dried out, cracked and fell apart when I tried to install it. I found that small correct size vinyl tubing works great as a cheap replacement, so I made ten and put them in the box.  ;D

I would be willing to help you double your money on that reel.   ;)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Balvar24 on March 12, 2023, 09:54:51 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 12, 2023, 05:31:20 PMYeah, I picked a never used 1001 in the box for $5 at our annual tackle flea market for that same reason. It had an extra rubber sleeve in the box, too, but it was dried out, cracked and fell apart when I tried to install it. I found that small correct size vinyl tubing works great as a cheap replacement, so I made ten and put them in the box.  ;D

I would be willing to help you double your money on that reel.  ;)

For $10 I'll just admire it on the shelf in the display case.  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Balvar24

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 12, 2023, 09:59:15 PM
Quote from: Balvar24 on March 12, 2023, 09:54:51 PM

I would be willing to help you double your money on that reel.  ;)

For $10 I'll just admire it on the shelf in the display case.  :D

Great find.  I'd never seen such an animal until I stumbled onto this forum after beginning to mess around with Mitchells.

Rancanfish

I, to this day have a 110n that doesn't work.  There is just no time to git 'er done.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Just send it to me, Randy —-

Ask will service and fix it to operate 100%.

N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

You know anything about these reels?  I keed, I keed.  ;D   I almost but not quite remember your address.  Nevermind, I have it.  Might take a few days to get back to town...  Charge me Fred, it will be worth it to have one more small project done.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

No Charge, Randy —-

You just have to post a picture of the DQ 110N out fishing with you on the South end of the rod.

That will be payment enough between friends.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.