D.A.M. Quick 221 — Yard Sale Restoration to New

Started by foakes, March 17, 2023, 04:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I also, after very fine and careful wire-brushing with a Dremel —- I go over it with Nev-R-Dull and a Micro-Fiber cloth for a final shine and protection.

Reels work just as good with out shining them up —- but it is like wearing a sharp new suit with scuffed up shoes —- or putting old rusty hubcaps on a newly painted and restored vehicle. It is OK, but...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Fishing reel restoration means different things to different folks. To me it means a complete disassemble, thorough cleaning of every part including polishing or burnishing, replacement of any excessively worn parts and complete lube when putting it back together. Some folks include repaint in their restoration definition but I never go the repaint route.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 04, 2023, 05:26:27 PMFishing reel restoration means different things to different folks. To me it means a complete disassemble, thorough cleaning of every part including polishing or burnishing, replacement of any excessively worn parts and complete lube when putting it back together. Some folks include repaint in their restoration definition but I never go the repaint route.

The key here, Tom —-

Is not whether or not one goes the repaint or original paint route with any small imperfections or scratches remaining on the restored reel —- it is whether or not it is represented as new and original paint —- when it is not.  That is outright fraud and dishonesty.

The reels I offer and build for folks are clearly described and represented as either unpainted or painted.

I understand from a purist's viewpoint that repainting reels, or misrepresenting reels as new, when they are not —- is considered by collectors to be blasphemy and criminal.

However, the reels I do, while I may go too far in making them new, and spend too much time on each one —- are targeted for fishermen to use in their angling —- not set on a shelf.

My approach, since I am fortunate enough to have hundreds of thousands of parts for DQ, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco spinners —- is to make them something that the owner will appreciate using and will also be proud of enjoying for decades to come.

I think there is room for both types of approaches.

Just my style and opinion.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

I find it interesting where each person draws their line in the sand as to what is 'too far' on a restoration.

If one were restoring a car, most but maybe not all would agree that a paint job is appropriate. But a reel isnt a car. Ive never painted a reel. But I've definitely thought about it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

I am a purist as far as the reel collecting aspect of the hobby goes and repaints are the cardinal sin. I don't want any repainted reels, no matter how good the quality is. I could care less, though, if someone repaints a reel as long as they disclose that it has been repainted when they sell it. All I was getting at is that when I say, or mention, that I restoed a reel it means that it may have a couple of new parts, all the parts have been thoroughly cleaned &/or polished but it has not been repainted.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

I have repainted DQ and Mitchells for myself,but would never do it to resell.The Zebco/Abu Cardinals would be hard to match.I do not plan on parting with any of my vintage reels though.

oldreelcatchum

They can Keep their flashy new reels, I'll stay with vintage.Great restore Mr Fred

Shellbelly

For me, it depends on one of two things, shelf or water.

On the shelf, I prefer original.  If refinished, I just need to know that and decide for myself. The display shelf holds examples of reels in various forms.  Some collectible reels that show wear have a story.  Some are family. 

None of my "wet" reels look good, but all of those are in good working order.  Surf fishing is hard on equipment.  I don't throw my rigs around, but I don't "baby" them either.  I do my best to keep them running. 

All those level wind Penns on the top shelf are for service rotation, parts, guests, as needed.  Even the 109s are ready if I feel like playing with one.  If it's not ready, it's not on that shelf.  All of those are necessary for what I like to do and how often I do it.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)