330N bail spring installation

Started by guzziquick, March 19, 2023, 06:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guzziquick

Hello. I just joined...and hoping someone can help.
I was messing with my Quick 330N, and foolishly removed the bail. I now cannot figure out how to reinstall it. After repeated attempts to install it so that the bail spring is under tension when the bail is in an open position - I'm stumped. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial for what should be a simple thing???

happyhooker

Hold on; we have some good folks on this site that are more knowledgeable than I on this reel, and can very likely answer your query.

i see you have been registered to the site for awhile; glad you are participating, and especially as to spinning reels.

Have a good 'un.

Frank

54bobby

Quote from: guzziquick on March 19, 2023, 06:12:50 PMHello. I just joined...and hoping someone can help.
I was messing with my Quick 330N, and foolishly removed the bail. I now cannot figure out how to reinstall it. After repeated attempts to install it so that the bail spring is under tension when the bail is in an open position - I'm stumped. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial for what should be a simple thing???
I did the same thing but really don't know if there's any 1 trick. I know it was a b.... and finally wound up removing that piece or the bail assembly from the reel itself so I only had to deal with the spring, screw and the piece the spring sits in. I think I put the vertical spring post in first then seated the horizontal post so the assembly was offset, then rotated it until it was lined up and then another 2 days getting it lined up and screwed down. I needed my wife as the screwdriver operator. That cost me, don't ask, you don't wanna know. Another day to get it adjusted.  If you get it together and the bail doesn't flip all the way back, try loosening the opposite side from the line guide. Hope somebody with precise instructions chimes in.
Good luck

foakes

Bobby's got it right —-

Remove the entire bail from the reel, remove the bail wire from the bail mount on the line guide side.

Now...drop in the spring —- set the bail mount in place with the tiny spring hole and bail mount connected together —- insert and tighten the large bail mounting screw.

Check for good spring snap.

Install the bail wire, guide, acorn nut, and lock washer now —- along with the easier opposite side.

If it is binding or not operating well —- the bail wire just needs to be adjusted by slightly releasing any friction pressure —- by slight bending adjustments.

A new bail spring is always good —- but if not distorted or stretched —-it should be fine.

This entire operation takes me 3 minutes from removal, cleaning, and reinstallation —- shouldn't take you more than 6 or 10 minutes!

Let us know!

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

guzziquick

Yep. 6 to 10 minutes...mebbe less.

The Dumb Way: Try to assemble the bail as one piece. I couldn't figure how to put tension on the spring, while engaging the little "piston" that engages the bail to hold it in an open position. 3 hours of fumbling and foul language. No success.

The Right Way: Disassemble the bail completely, so that the line guide is free of the bail wire.Then you can engage the spring on the bail mount...give it a clockwise turn to put tension on it...then install the bail wire on that bail mount, using the acorn nut/washer...reattach the other side's. bail mount, being sure to engage that little piston that holds the bail open...and tighten everything down.

Easier to do, than I've been able to describe.

Thank you VERY much, for all the good advice!!

foakes

Now that you realize that trick —- you will be servicing reels for others before you know it!

Good work!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Another tip I remember from Midway Tommy, do the bail first, before your fingers get all greasy from gear-box work.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on March 19, 2023, 11:46:09 PMAnother tip I remember from Midway Tommy, do the bail first, before your fingers get all greasy from gear-box work.

Thank you kindly for the remembrance, sir!  :D On some reels it's easier when the rotor's detached from the body, too.  :) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)