6600 C5 MagX

Started by Shellbelly, March 20, 2023, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

This was given to me.  I intend to use it so I took it apart.  It all seems pretty good except it appears the critical MagX parts are missing.  I went looking for these particular parts and found all except....the magnetic holder, discontinued, go figure.  While I was at it I counted 19 other parts that are also unavailable.  Many of these parts would be nice to have as spares.

Since the reel is at no cost, I don't mind putting parts in it to make it right. Replacing worn parts is going to be a challenge over time....if I don't shelve it.

At the moment, the part I need is #23501 Magnetic Holder.  I'm in the market for one if anyone has a spare for sale.

In the meantime, I'd like to know your performance reviews of the reel.  I can't seem to find very much about it.

Thank you!!!!   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Does it have to be the original part or do you just want a mag brake? I have a few of my custom ones to spare but you gotta drill.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

I appreciate the offer.  I'd like to try to keep it original.  I did notice while wandering around, there are LOTS of upgrades for these.  If the OEM part or a reasonable donor reel can't be found, then I would likely modify this reel.  Drilling wouldn't be an issue.

Since I've never used this model, it would also depend on what others have experienced with it and how they use it.  Is it a tough guy or a whiner?  I'm going to throw it at redfish, so it needs to be ready for that kind of duty all day, every day.  If it isn't, then it's a pretty green reel sitting next to the old red and black ones. ;)
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

JasonGotaProblem

From what I understand these are basic ambassadeurs with a mag kit. I hear it a lot that the high speed gear in these is the weak point because of the teeny tiny teeth. They strip. But with a gear set from any of the 4500, 5500, or 6500 ambys it should be pretty solid. As long as you don't go too crazy on the drag these guys are workhorses. I'm guessing it has the ultracast spool. You can tune these to cast a mile. Especially if you remove the levelwind, but that falls in the "optional" category.

ExcessiveAngler

Howdy!
Nice Abu you got there!
If my eyes don't deceive me, don't notice the ball bearings for the level wind laying there, seems they harvested the level wind as well when they took the mag parts
That Abu should have a dual bearing l/w and and single bb cog wheel also!
I have a very nice silver Abu C4 4600 AL Mag Trax that I picked up off of fleabay lol!
Love the way this little Abu casts!
These are definitely great, long casting reels, right out of the box!
But, once you move over to the reds, I don't have a lot of experience with them, only catch the big black boomers with much heavier tackle, usually in the surf!

EA

Shellbelly

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 20, 2023, 02:21:21 PMIf my eyes don't deceive me, don't notice the ball bearings for the level wind laying there,
There is one in the LW sleeve, two in the spool, one roller in the handle side plate sleeve, one in the other side plate bushing.  The other side of the LW sleeve has a plastic bushing.

It runs fine on the bench.  I need to put a casting weight on it and see if it squeals.  A mag break isn't something I'm used to.  I can live without it but the reel should be complete nonetheless.  I'm not gonna stop looking until it's correct.

JasonGotaProblem

I have a bin of abu parts from Keith. I'll see if there's anything like that in there.

Shellbelly

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 20, 2023, 05:19:43 PMI have a bin of abu parts from Keith. I'll see if there's anything like that in there.
That would be beyond cool. 

It casts pretty well in the driveway now.  Had to keep it at about 60yds, neighbors' windows and all that, you know.  Folks are walking by asking if I'm having any luck. ;D Hopefully, I'll get it wet tomorrow.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 20, 2023, 03:55:05 AMDoes it have to be the original part or do you just want a mag brake? I have a few of my custom ones to spare but you gotta drill.
Hey Jason, how's it going brother?
I hear you you're one of the mad scientist around here lol!
I think it was Thorhammer that mentioned to me you were working on some mag kits?
Do you still sell your mag kits?
Or possibly have some part numbers?
I'm trying work on one now with some brass lamp parts, gets kinda of expensive when you when you want to start magging all your reels, before you know it you're down the rabbit hole lol!

EA

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: Shellbelly on March 20, 2023, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 20, 2023, 02:21:21 PMIf my eyes don't deceive me, don't notice the ball bearings for the level wind laying there,
There is one in the LW sleeve, two in the spool, one roller in the handle side plate sleeve, one in the other side plate bushing.  The other side of the LW sleeve has a plastic bushing.

It runs fine on the bench.  I need to put a casting weight on it and see if it squeals.  A mag break isn't something I'm used to.  I can live without it but the reel should be complete nonetheless.  I'm not gonna stop looking until it's correct.
So, then you're really not missing that much actually!
You're looking for the mags and retainer plate and the spring assembly and might be two little tiny black spacer post, like the ones that are used on the infamous clicker lol!
If somebody here doesn't have them, I always see them on fleabay, you just have to be ready to jump on them when they show up!

EA

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 21, 2023, 02:41:19 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 20, 2023, 03:55:05 AMDoes it have to be the original part or do you just want a mag brake? I have a few of my custom ones to spare but you gotta drill.
I think it was Thorhammer that mentioned to me you were working on some mag kits?
I'm trying work on one now with some brass lamp parts, gets kinda of expensive when you when you want to start magging all your reels, before you know it you're down the rabbit hole lol!

EA
I'm at best barely an apprentice compared to the skill floating around this forum. But i do make mag brakes. Pm me your address and I'll try to get something out. Thorhammer is still waiting for the set I promised him 2 months ago. With any luck I'll finally get them packaged and sent out.

ExcessiveAngler

[/quote]
I'm at best barely an apprentice compared to the skill floating around this forum. But i do make mag brakes. Pm me your address and I'll try to get something out. Thorhammer is still waiting for the set I promised him 2 months ago. With any luck I'll finally get them packaged and sent out.
[/quote]
Oh thank you so much, that would be awesome!
Yes, Thorhammer, great guy know him from Pier And Surf as well!
Maybe this
Yes, this community here is quite a wealth of knowledge, and has been well known for many many years, you never really realized how much knowledge you've missed out until you become a member in an awesome community!
Took many years to come out of my shell LMAO!
I'll see if I can figure out how to send you a message, thanks again!

EA

Shellbelly

Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 21, 2023, 02:57:22 AMSo, then you're really not missing that much actually!
Correct.  To be specific, I can still get spring #25222, spring #23506, screw #295, and control #23523. 

The only missing part I can't seem to find is magnetic holder #23501.  I suppose there could be a later model that uses an identical part that has a different#. 

According to the schematic I have, these 5 parts will complete the reel.

Until it's complete, I have no way of knowing what needs to be upgraded to improve the entire performance of the reel.

ExcessiveAngler

All right, I've lost what I typed three times now, trying to figure out how to post a few pictures of the parts that you need!
There are no numbers on the mag array!
But I know that mag array holder also goes to the Mag elites, AL Mag Trax reels and I do believe, the sports mags as well!

EA

thorhammer

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on March 21, 2023, 04:00:37 AM
Quote from: ExcessiveAngler on March 21, 2023, 02:41:19 AM

EA

In no hurry, brother, I'm deep in the weeds with home improvements at the moment. Trying to get done and a couple of rods finished for clients before mid-April so I can fish this year.