$20 DOLLAR RULE- WOOPS!

Started by Finest Kind, March 25, 2023, 04:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finest Kind

I was reading an old post in which members were discussing upgrades, and Alan T. invokes the "20 dollar rule". Wow I'm in trouble with this 140 Squidder I got in a garage sale for $10, with one of those ancient surf rods with one guide and tip top thrown in. I converted it to a 146. Pro challenger SS gear sleeve, Bryan Young 5+1 drags. Pro challenger black spool and bars, IMG_5384.jpegIMG_5386.jpeg  24-56 power handle. Big thanks to you guys that have taken the time and energy to engineer these fantastic aftermarket parts! Just wanted to put a shout out to say Thank You! I also changed a 500S to a 501 and am now doing up another 146. Fishing season better start before I go broke.

JasonGotaProblem

I didn't know there was such a rule, and it explains a lot.

Nice work.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Dominick

Is that a righty or a lefty?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Nice. I like those power-handles. Relatively light-weight and adjustable.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Looks great!

Some of my favorite reels are Squidders —- 140, 145, 146.

Nice work.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Finest Kind

Quote from: Dominick on March 25, 2023, 06:06:02 PMIs that a righty or a lefty?  Dominick
It's a righty. It almost looks like the rod butt is the foregrip in a couple of the pictures. It's just the camera.

Finest Kind

Quote from: Gfish on March 25, 2023, 06:09:43 PMNice. I like those power-handles. Relatively light-weight and adjustable.
I always felt the stock handles were fine, until I started to pay attention to how often my hand was slipping off when I had a fish on. I might try a knob on the other 146 I'm doing.

steelfish

Quote from: Finest Kind on March 25, 2023, 04:56:12 PM.........to say Thank You! I also changed a 500S to a 501 and am now doing up another 146. Fishing season better start before I go broke.

ooh-oh !!
The Baja Guy

Finest Kind

Quote from: steelfish on March 25, 2023, 06:27:36 PM
Quote from: Finest Kind on March 25, 2023, 04:56:12 PM.........to say Thank You! I also changed a 500S to a 501 and am now doing up another 146. Fishing season better start before I go broke.

ooh-oh !!
Yea, I got it bad. I rebuilt a few 113HW and 114H for a friend this winter. 20 + years of shark and tuna with minimal maintenance. Man these reels are tough. I'm going to build myself one next winter with all the bells and whistles!

Donnyboat

Sounds interesting love to see the process, & pics as you go, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat