Some help with washers, please

Started by dogdad1, February 24, 2012, 02:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

Hi –

I'm in the process of disassembling my inheritance of reels (and just tossing everything into one big box... just kidding!  But hey, wouldn't it make for a more-detailed learning process?) and working up an order-list of what I'll need parts-wise.  Right now, I'm kinda confused with the drag washer setups and could use a bit of guidance. 

If I simply want to go with just the 'standard' configuration number of drag washers (but using HT-100 washers like from Scott's) and fiber washers, how many of each do I need for the following:
1)   Long Beach 60 (Penn says 3)
2)   Long Beach 65 (Penn says 3)
3)   Long Beach 67 (Penn says 3)
4)   Senator 113, 4/0 (Penn says 3, but I had 4 old ones in teardown)
5)   Senator 118, 16/0 (Penn says 7, but I had 5 old ones in teardown)
6)   Leveline 309 (Penn says 3)
7)   Jigmaster 500 (Penn says 3)

Do I just follow the numbers recommended in the Penn schematics, or are they only for the original washer-types and not HT-100's?

And, if not too complicated, I'd also like to switch the fiber-washers to HT-100's on each, how much would that change things?

Obviously, different reels use different washer sets, but even after studying the tutorials, but I got very confused when the discussions begin shifting to switching out different thicknesses and Dremeling-out for more washers, additional drag, etc. 

All's I want is to start at ground-zero.  Someday I hope to become smart enough to be able to do my own mix-and-match, but for now I'll be happy if they just work at all when I'm done!

As usual from me to y'all... MANY THANKS!
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: dogdad1 on February 24, 2012, 02:17:37 PM
Hi –
If I simply want to go with just the 'standard' configuration number of drag washers (but using HT-100 washers like from Scott's) and fiber washers, how many of each do I need for the following:
1)   Long Beach 60 (Penn says 3)
2)   Long Beach 65 (Penn says 3)
3)   Long Beach 67 (Penn says 3)
4)   Senator 113, 4/0 (Penn says 3, but I had 4 old ones in teardown)
5)   Senator 118, 16/0 (Penn says 7, but I had 5 old ones in teardown)
6)   Leveline 309 (Penn says 3)
7)   Jigmaster 500 (Penn says 3)

Penn 60, 65, 67, 113 (not the 113H, right?), 309, 500 all get 3 HT-100's.
The 118 will need 7 HT-100's and metal washers.

The difference between old asbestos (thick) and greased HT-100? BIG improvement! :)

Good luck with your box of parts. ;D ;D

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Don't forget to order extras for under the gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dogdad1

Hey, I appreciate the info.  That helps a lot.  I'm sure I'll be able to see/feel the differences when I get the parts and compare them to the originals, but before then it's just trying to compare pics of them online.

Awww, Bryan.  Now, why'd you have to go and say that?  I'm assuming you meant one-each extra HT100 to replace the original fiber washer under the bridge, yes?  I'm REALLY hoping that's what you meant, otherwise I'll be right back where I started out...   :'(  and  ???

Thanks!
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Bryan Young

Yes, the one closest to the bridge, between the gear sleeve and main gear.  You've got it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the reels that have a "jigmaster" gear sleeve need a carbon fiber drag washer the size of a ht-100 #6-60 drag washer to go under the main gear.  the problem is that the loose weave of these washers get mashed too badly.  for this spot, i recommend a carbontex drag washer.  dawn has a "jigmaster" drag set that includes one such drag washer, and this is the one that i recommend. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!