Tooting Fred Oakes' horn

Started by CincyDavid, April 05, 2023, 12:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyDavid

So I bought a DAM 440N recently for next to nothing but the crank arm was broken and the handle was missing. I reached out to Fred, and within a week a padded envelope arrived at my door with a claim ticket and all the parts I needed.  I mailed him payment and installed the new handle and all is right with the world. How cool is that? A 60??? year old German fishing reel can be readily fixed with NOS parts.  It boggles the mind. Meanwhile the parking brake cable for my 2006 Kia Sportage is out of production and NLA(no longer available).

Shark Hunter

That's what happens when you buy Korean.
Fred is the Man!
Life is Good!

CincyDavid

That Korean SUV was a gift 8 years ago from my mother who bought it new and got such a horrible trade in offer that she gave it to me for the kids to drive and now it's my fishing mobile.  215xxx miles and it's ugly as sin but works well and the a/c is frosty. If my new Bronco ever comes in, that was ordered last year, I may retire the Kia...or I may keep it for fishing and Home Depot runs.

That does raise an interesting point...there's something enticing about having an old beater in the fleet.

thorhammer

Buy a crimper and make a cable.

Fred has tightened more than a few reels of mine from his stash- Penn, Zebco and DQ.

Shark Hunter

Free is good. I have a 99 Camry with 200K on it and drive it every day.
Definitely keep driving it to keep the miles off your Bronco.
Life is Good!