Spool felt on many old spinning reel spools

Started by Fishgolfman, April 06, 2023, 01:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Going thru many vintage spinning reels i have noticed missing felt spool lining or fragmented pieces. While reels work fine without them. Has anybody found a great substitute replacement for the old felt.

happyhooker

I believe we talked about this awhile back.  The old "pipe cleaners" work OK and are inexpensive. Try to get a smaller size.  If have to use bigger ones, you can trim the fluff down with a pair of nail scissors.  If the spool seems to bind a bit, keep trimming and put a little Teflon dry lube on the fluff where it contacts the inside of the rotor.  I just fixed a South Bend 880 with some trimming and lube.

Frank

Midway Tommy

I use 3mm Chenille stems on a lot of the Shakespeare and Italian made reels. If the 3mm stems are too large I'll use fly tying chenille.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Catching Nemo

I'm gonna try the elastic strings from facemasks.  it kinda looks like chenille but is stretchy.  Results TBD

Fishgolfman

Many thanks. I went with chenile as suggested by Tommy

Paul Roberts

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 06, 2023, 04:20:53 AMI use 3mm Chenille stems on a lot of the Shakespeare and Italian made reels. If the 3mm stems are too large I'll use fly tying chenille.
Tom, how do you keep the fly-tying chenille in place, since they don't contain wire?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Paul Roberts on December 04, 2023, 06:03:59 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 06, 2023, 04:20:53 AMI use 3mm Chenille stems on a lot of the Shakespeare and Italian made reels. If the 3mm stems are too large I'll use fly tying chenille.
Tom, how do you keep the fly-tying chenille in place, since they don't contain wire?

I tie a lite knot and add a small dab of water proof glue to hold it in place. Super glue should work.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

I was about to ask about this "furry string" around the spool, is on the spool of my cardinal 4 plastic spool
The Baja Guy

ExcessiveAngler

I'll throw a little comment on here and bump it up, and you guys, get a little laugh!
Sanding and sanding on a Penn Sportfisher 5100 spool, and I'm like what is this crud?
Only then I realized, I completely sanded that fuzz(dust)ring right off the spool.
Went to play around with that brush on the bottom, then that darn thing poked me lol.
I was like, what the heck is all this junk, I've never seen any of this before lol.
I really need to start wearing my glasses and just refuse, to wear them lol.
But I'm thinking, hear all the grinding lol, that felt lining from an aluminum window screen would work just fine. Looks very similar and rides in a little groove, Just like it does on a spinner spool.