Spinning reel foot repair on old vintage reels

Started by Fishgolfman, April 06, 2023, 01:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Spinning reel foots get chipped overtime especially old reels. Most foots can be filed to fit a modern reel seat to be held securely. Has anybody tried to repair the foot missing pieces with modern repair materials? Especially larger breaks. We have all kinds of modern epoxies and the pot metal of reels can bind..are they synergistic and have enough strength.

Cuttyhunker

Lashed.jpg

This old 700 is lashed to the rod, starting with a clove hitch, then just keep tucking the line under pulling it tight with each added hitch.  Best to use nylon as it has a natural elasticity and I've found it gives better results.  When complete a few coats of spar varnish to hold it all in place.  I did this one years ago and now just service the reel attached to the rod.  This one was done because the reel seat towards the butt had broken off, but the same would work with a broken foot as long as there was enough left for the twine to get a proper purchase.  I suppose the only foot repair would be welding on then shaping the new piece. Nothing that I would bother with on my old Greenies as I expect it would be expensive and add no value to the reel.  The lashing has been flawless for me.
Doomed from childhood

DougK

I've used a piece of copper pipe cut and bent to the shape of the old reel foot, then JB Weld to put the two together. It's held up for a couple of years.. will try to get a pic later.
I doubt any epoxy will be strong enough on its own, so used the copper.