6500 ultracast spool shaft diameter

Started by JasonGotaProblem, April 06, 2023, 11:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I have a 6600 whose spool shaft is wider at the point where it enters the pinion gear than any of the other ambassadeurs I have. The pinion gear that came with the reel has a larger hole. But it's the faster gear that's more prone to fail. And i wanna use the steel gear I got from rocket, but the pinion that matches it has a smaller hole like the rest. Do I need to find a slower gear pinion with a larger hole, or a 6500 spool shaft with a smaller diameter? Or door #3 work up the confidence to pull out the drill and widen a hole?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thorhammer

I think I have a 6500 shaft- want me to send it on? Then you keep your pinion intact. It should work- I got it from Bob when he upgraded to rocket spools so should be same lego's so to speak.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: thorhammer on April 06, 2023, 01:17:46 PMI think I have a 6500 shaft- want me to send it on? Then you keep your pinion intact. It should work- I got it from Bob when he upgraded to rocket spools so should be same lego's so to speak.
I wouldnt turn it down. And it would motivate me to get that mag kit in the mail sooner now that things are calming down a bit around here.

thorhammer

Mic it and I will check what I have. I'm still swapping legos trying to find the right combo to build Rocket. I may end up with all Rocket instead of an Abu conversion so will have spent 20 percent more than just buying an F2 lol.

JasonGotaProblem

So this is a curious case. Maybe Bob can clear this one up for us. The spool shaft has a widened section about the length of the pinion. And by counting the teeth and dividing its actually a 4.7:1 ratio. But every other one I've picked up had the same small thickness spool shaft at the pinion.

Maybe it's not the worst though. Hmmm.
Wide spool shaft = better
Thinner pinion walls = worse.

Which one wins?

JasonGotaProblem

Also it turns out the inner diameter of this pinion matches that of the 5000C.

This is actually kind of a frankenreel. It doesn't have the bearing on the back of the gear sleeve. It does have a mechanical AR. The ARB was removed and a ball bearing installed in its place.

This one came from Keith. It may have been one of his experiments.

I've reshuffled a few parts. Now it has an ARB and a dog. I had to cut a slightly smaller under-gear carbon disk to make room for the dog's "ears". It also has a blakdog speed bullet and a Jason mag brake. (Yeah i did refer to myself in 3rd person! I can do that now, right?)