Shimano Stradic Handle Knob

Started by buckfever, April 07, 2023, 01:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckfever

I'm in search of a handle knob for a Shimano Stradic MGFB 2500. Part number is RD11037. Thank you!

JasonGotaProblem

Was gonna offer you this from my FK2500 because I'll be replacing it in a few days probably with an aftermarket handle. Md it's yours if you want it...but it's already a bit sticky.

But that brings me to the followup. Why not just go for an aftermarket handle? Theres a billion to choose from and you don't have to drill anything to install on a stradic. I'm going for a cork knob because they're comfy and lightweight.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

buckfever

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 07, 2023, 10:53:28 AMWas gonna offer you this from my FK2500 because I'll be replacing it in a few days probably with an aftermarket handle. Md it's yours if you want it...but it's already a bit sticky.

But that brings me to the followup. Why not just go for an aftermarket handle? Theres a billion to choose from and you don't have to drill anything to install on a stradic. I'm going for a cork knob because they're comfy and lightweight.
Thanks for the offer. Mine is sticky also and that's what I'm trying to get away from. I think you are onto something about replacing it with an aftermarket knob. Anything special I need to know to order one? Thank you for your help!

Rancanfish

As I recall some of the other Shimano handles cross fit.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: buckfever on April 07, 2023, 12:58:08 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on April 07, 2023, 10:53:28 AMWas gonna offer you this from my FK2500 because I'll be replacing it in a few days probably with an aftermarket handle. Md it's yours if you want it...but it's already a bit sticky.

Thanks for the offer. Mine is sticky also and that's what I'm trying to get away from. I think you are onto something about replacing it with an aftermarket knob. Anything special I need to know to order one? Thank you for your help!
Just remove your existing knob by taking out the screw and look at the length of the shaft. Most amazon and eBay listings will specify that info. Some are specifically listed as sized for shimano reels of a given size. If you look for that you should be good. To be clear I believe the <2500 shimano spinners take a different knob than the >3000 sizes.

Gonna say it again for clarity: YOU DONT NEED TO DRILL ANYTHING. Your knob comes off from the front via a screw. The folks that have to drill are the ones without that option.

buckfever

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 07, 2023, 02:41:03 PMAs I recall some of the other Shimano handles cross fit.
I was trying some others but this is sort of a unique handle. No luck without doing surgery.

kevin cozens

look for a gomexus knob. i have 2 shimmys i have fitted them to. i found the original knobs to small for my big hands

Gfish

Yeah that's a good idea. What makes the stock "Shimmy"(cool name)knobs get sticky like that?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

kevin cozens

Quote from: kevin cozens on August 08, 2023, 06:57:07 PMlook for a gomexus knob. i have 2 shimmys i have fitted them to. i found the original knobs to small for my big hands
i forgot to mention it but both handles also have 2 stainless steel ball bearings in them making them very smooth

boon

Quote from: Gfish on August 08, 2023, 09:54:34 PMYeah that's a good idea. What makes the stock "Shimmy"(cool name)knobs get sticky like that?

Rumors abound. I've heard that some types of sunscreen are really bad for them, but I suspect it's simply that the rubber compound they used for a period was not a good one. Comfortable and grippy, sure, but the longevity was poor.

JasonGotaProblem

I have some really old shimano knobs still in original packaging. Not at all sticky. I think it's the sun that gets them.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: Gfish on August 08, 2023, 09:54:34 PMYeah that's a good idea. What makes the stock "Shimmy"(cool name)knobs get sticky like that?

Gfish - I believe the material they are made out of is called Septon(?) and it is a thermoplastic, and Shimano handles of a certain time frame seem prone to this..  UV may certainly have an effect, but like many plastics it can be reactive with things like sunscreen or insecticides like DEET (which is really just an industrial solvent anyway). - john