Newbie question regarding Cardinal C-4

Started by alsonfish, April 07, 2023, 07:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsonfish

I recently found this forum and it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time here.

Somehow, I have acquired about twenty spinning reels and over the last two years I have learned  how to service them. I have a mixture of reels that I purchased new, over the last 5-7 years, some bought used, and some were left to me by a deceased friend.

I have some Mitchells (308a, 308s, 308 modern style, Garcia Mitchel 300), some Daiwas, AbuGarcias, and even a Hurd rod and reel combination with bag and possibly the original line.
Since I am unfamiliar with this forum and the different categories, I have some questions that I will post here. If they are posted in the wrong place, I'm sure someone will move it to the correct category.

I have two Abu Garcia Cardinal C-4, one I fished with and looks to be newish, but now has a broken handle (I have all of the pieces). The other one is in like new condition and has two spools that came with it. I'm trying to keep it in its great condition and perhaps sell it someday.

Where can I get a handle to fit the C-4? I tried Abu parts department without luck. I asked them about a cross reference to a handle from a different reel and they said there is no cross reference. I tried e-bay and there was nothing available that would fit. I tried all of my reels to see if any of those handles were interchangeable. No luck.  I even bought and returned three handles from Amazon but none of them fit. The diameter of the stud on the broken handle, which has two threads on the stud are 5.7mm and 4.1mm.

When I needed a handle for the Daiwa Bradia that I had acquired, Daiwa said the same thing, "no cross reference". I took a chance and ordered a Gomex handle, from Amazon, for a Diawa Bg1500/3000 and it fit perfectly. I guess Daiwa "doesn't know" that the Bradia and Bg handles are interchangeable. Gomex does not have one to fit.

So, my  second question is: does anyone know what handle might fit the C-4? There must be something that has the same threading and either Abu doesn't know or is not telling. They did offer 40% off any new reel that I might want to buy to replace the C-4, but I don't want a new reel, I have plenty of reels. I just want to make this one usable.

I don't mind if the replacement handle looks out of place, I plan to fish this reel. The newer one is complete and in excellent shape so I want to keep it that way.

Any Ideas?

foakes

Welcome aboard!

Post some photos of your C4 & the remains of the handle —- and I will likely have a new one for you.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alsonfish

As soon as I figure out posting a photo   :)

foakes

For now, just send the photos to foakes@gmx.com.

I'll post them for you, and pull out a handle.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alsonfish

I have sent the pictures to your email.

Thank you for the help

Midway Tommy

The only handles that will work on that series are the ones that have "Worm Gear System" in red written on them. They're tough to come by and usually bring at least $15-20 + shipping. If Fred doesn't have one for you keep checking daBay, they show up every once in awhile, although I haven't seen one for three or four years.

BTW, those handles will work on all the black fulcrum drag models, 3, 4, 4X & 5, although the original 5 handles are just a little bit largere than the others, but they all will still interchange.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)