Happy Easter

Started by reelynew, April 09, 2023, 06:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

Happy Easter All,

I thought it would be appropriate to share this today.  A friend gave me an Emu egg, but I had forgotten about it in the back of the fridge for too long, so I decided to try and create something out of it. 

Here's my attempt at some "art work" with a dremel tool.  Fortunately, it was easier than I had thought.

Matt

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Donnyboat

Nice job Matt, looks like a well matured egg, meaning it was fully formed before the emu laid it, some are less matured & the outside of the shell, is a smoother, also have a lighter colour, & if you axadently, run over an emu with your vehicle, dam more dents, cut them open, this is about late April or may, in the gascoyne area of Western Australia, especially on a good season of rain plenty of nests, when you get that egg out of the emu, the shell can be really smooth, & a light turquios colour, I have even had them with an outer membrain,  know shell formed, on a good season I have seen up to 14 eggs in one nest, each egg is aquivalent to about 10 fowl eggs, we used to blow them, then make omlets or use them for cakes,the yoke is a nice rich dark yellow colour, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Cool! Nice job.
Don, what's an Emu egg taste like? Maybe like a chicken egg? How about Emu meat? Do people eat that?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

That's cool!

Emu start-up businesses sprang up in central TX some years ago.  The sales pitch had the feel of multi-level marketing.  Every new business wanted to sell birds and talked about how to get rich off of selling them to other people. 

None offered a solid outlet for the meat or eggs.  Funny that I never saw the meat or eggs in the big grocery stores.  Never saw it on a menu either.  Not even an Emu burger or chicken fried Emu.  Somebody at least could have BBQ'd one to get the ball rolling.  Make soup out of that long neck....something! 

Eventually, I didn't see those businesses anymore.  I do see a bird every now and then hanging out in a pasture. 

Still waiting on that chicken-fried Emu dinner.  Looks like I gotta eat fish instead.

Egg art is the coolest Emu thing I've seen and I'm glad to hear that the eggs are good.  Duck eggs are about as good as it gets here.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Donnyboat

Great Greg, we used to fry some, but as we were blowing the yoke out of the shell, it would get all meshed up, so it did not look like a nice fowl egg, they had a richer flaver as they eat a lot of roughage, compared to the average fowl egg, as you carve the egg, you get different colours from each layer of the egg, some people can do a fantastic art work with them, they are worth lots of money like that, when we were young, I can remember shire councils had a bounty on them, we used to get 20 shillings/beek, as we were shearing, near the rabbit & dingo proof fence, that fence started on the South coast, east of Ravensthorpe up to Port headland, about 14 or 15 hundread miles long, there used to be hundereads walking south a long the fence, trying to head West into the grain growing areas, it was`nt so much the amount of grain they ate, but there feet would knock a lot of the straw down as they were walking as well, cheers Don, by the way I had a browning semi automatic 12 gauge shot gun.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Sorry Greg, I missed the meat eating part, the meat quite dark like most wild game, possibly a bit darker than Roo meat, its best o bake it, the best way to get some good meat, you have to shoot the young emu`s, & the way to tell if there young, the feathers on there neck are generaly, dark, as they get older the feather start to turn blonde & a darker grey, you try not to sellect them,  cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat