Penn International 30VSW free-spool issues

Started by TheReelShop, April 09, 2023, 06:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelShop

Good afternoon gentleman,
I have two Penn International 30VSW that came in fully nonfunctional with lots of grime and corrosion inside. Right side plates were replaced, as well as other parts including new set of bellvilles.

I believe these are the "older versions"

Problem I am having is that in free-spool with PRESET all the way down, the spool in level position/fishing position it spins fine, tilt to the left and it stops, tilt to the right and it is clanking with the sleeve end of the main gear assembly (I confirmed this by removing the whole gear set and reassembling without, but then it hits the click button portion protruding from the click housing).

There is some amount of lateral play with the spool, A slight lift of the lever off free-spool, and the clanking stops.

Between the inner drive plate and the spool there is a bare aluminum ring showing that the drag plate end/border is or has rubbed with the spool (this is with the shim installed).

Given this might be a spacing issue probably to a-lot of wear
-I have completed different spacing options, belleville's have been changed from ()() to ((()), ()|||()
works somewhat but there is a good amount of drag without even setting the preset (reel has 60lb mono trying to set to 15/20lb strike)

-I have shimmed between the drag spring and the pinion gear, with bellville ()() but then no free-spool and still clanks.

I have run out of options before having to order more parts. My next thought was to replace both springs in the shaft assembly.
schematic does show a shim 82-30VS which is a gold shim but I have never encountered this in any VSW in the past. These never had them.

Anyone had this encounter before?

Thanks in advance!

TheReelShop

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28705.0

This is the same issue I am having,

I place 2 0.008" washers between the preset screw and cam follower to move things towards the left. Less clank but still there as well as too much drag pressure with preset all the way down.

TheReelShop

Finally got it!

First the bearings were the wrong size.
Second, the shimming which took time turned out to be a 0.008" Shim between the drag spring (41A) and the pinion. Another shim 0.004" in between the bellville's.

This allowed the reel to free-spool with the preset dial backed down all the way, AND free-spools when reel tilted to the left and right!

UKChris1

"First the bearings were the wrong size." - How on earth???

But I'm glad you've got it fixed.