How difficult is it to remove 113h bearing from either side without destroying

Started by Fishead, April 14, 2023, 07:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

How difficult is it to remove the bearing from its cap on older 113h without destroying the cap. The clicker side looks to be more of a challenge. Or would I be better off replacing them as a whole? Mystic's site says the new clicker side bearing might not fit my old sideplate. I hate to buy a new sideplate to change a bearing.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Bill B

There are a number of bearing pullers, bent Penn wrenches, metal hooks, etc.  I will leave the bearing in the plate for a little more leverage.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Cuttyhunker

I know the older tailplate bearing set up without the O-ring  for the 114H is hard to find, but I've always replaced the whole assembly.  Maybe the bearing went bad due to the cap??
Doomed from childhood

Fishead

I have the one on the left. Problem is, Mystic's website says its no longer available. In order to use the new bearing cap with the o-ring, the sideplate must be replaced. I was hoping to avoid replacing the sideplate.

MarkT

You can remove the bearing! I use a box nail with 2/3 of the head cut off. Use the nail as a bearing puller in a pair of vice grips.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

They should come out unless it's hopelessly corroded or something. Even then it's still possible
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brewcrafter

They can be stubborn.  There are many tips here on the forum for "do it yourself" bearing pullers.  Also, if your bearing has the metal spacer (if you look at the schematic it is all part of 40, which is the cap, the bearing, and the spacer) you can pry it out gently while leaving the bearing in place and that won't deform the bearing cap and makes it a little easier to get at the bearing. - john

Donnyboat

As Mark said a box nail should work, if not place some acatone & auto trans fluid into the cap, keep topping it up for a couple of days, then start pushing paper towel into it, use a wood dowel to force the paper towel into it, then place plenty of oil or water into it, every time you place the oil or water into it, then hammer the dowel in, as the paper towel xspands, it should force the bearing out,
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Don's solution should work. I've even used bread(Oc1's recommendation)instead of the paper towel. The difficulty prolly depends on how long since the last service(if ever).

I don't like that aspect about buying a used Senator or other Penn using the cup/ball bearing system. Somewhere in the life of the reel, someone didn't do, or realize, the service need there. If you think about it, the gear-side ball bearing/cup is a hassle to get to compared to the tail-plate screw-in one. Bad design.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

If your going to use mark`s good idea of a box nail, tty to keep the cap on the tail plate, then you can get more purchase with it, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

may seem obvious, but if gong the nail route chuck it up tight in a vice, and hold/support the plate and pull against the nail..but fully support the plate, holding it out my the edges is an invitation to replace a plate... - john

Bryan Young

Quote from: Fishead on April 14, 2023, 07:18:59 PMHow difficult is it to remove the bearing from its cap on older 113h without destroying the cap. The clicker side looks to be more of a challenge. Or would I be better off replacing them as a whole? Mystic's site says the new clicker side bearing might not fit my old sideplate. I hate to buy a new sideplate to change a bearing.
Where are you located?  I have several methods of pulling bearings, including bearing pullers made specifically for reels that are no longer available. If you are local to the SF Bay Area, we could meet up to remove those pesky bearings. You could send them to me if you wish as well and I'd pull the and return them by mail to you. Let me know.

Sometime a little heat and cold is needed to break the rust and varnish as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishead

Thank you for your offer Bryan but I am on the far opposite side of the country in Ft. Lauderdale. I have the set of bearing pullers from Ernie. I will give that a shot. At worst, I'll have to replace the cap as well.