String Trimmer

Started by Bill B, April 17, 2023, 02:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

As I was going through the shop I found 400' of line for a string trimmer. The label says .065" in diameter, which is about 300# mono diameter.  Would this line be any good as leader material?  It has to be about as abrasion resistant as anything out there.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Maybe???  Probably not though with all the $$$ spent going I wouldn't chance it. Mono is pretty cheap
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

I would not trust that, I'll bring some 200# and 300# mono for you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Bill B!

For San Diego Long Range trip fishing tackle needs I DON'T KNOW...  BUTT...

if you want to fish for Halibut in the SE Alaska area, Talk with our own Gary the BUTT MAN.

I've fished now for 2 weeks with Gary, and for his fishing needs, Gary does use String trimmer line.

On both of our trips, here is what he used:

Making Halibut Hoochie Rigs using 18/0 Circle Hooks :-*

Here is his FINAL PRODUCT!!!!

And do they work???  here is Dominick on the TANK with a VERY large Halibut down below 240' with a 4 lbs. lead weight - dragging it all up!

Then I take over, and I have to say, I think this is the hardest I've pulled on any fish to date, EVER.

I'm using a 50-80 lbs. broom stick and have a good bend in the rod.

In the end, we brought up a 325 lbs. halibut per NOAA Halibut Length to Weight chart.

BUTT... isn't it just our reason for a couple of guys to get together, catch fish and enjoy a cold beer at the end of the day!!!!!  :fish

Just my thoughts.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Rancanfish

I think it is too light.

Why does Gary have both a circle and a barbed hook on the same rig?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Yeah for an expensive LR trip I wouldnt dream of using string trimmer line, too much at stake.  Just hate to waste anything and if it can be used for something might try it.  Maybe use it for crab snares?  Bill

pjstevko

Bill if you need 300# jig leaders made let me know how long you want them and how many and I'll mail them to ya no charge

Bill B

Quote from: pjstevko on April 17, 2023, 09:25:53 PMBill if you need 300# jig leaders made let me know how long you want them and how many and I'll mail them to ya no charge

Thank you PJ! 

Keta

I am waiting for heavy Owner split rings and hooks to finish mine.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

boon

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 17, 2023, 03:26:44 PMI think it is too light.

Why does Gary have both a circle and a barbed hook on the same rig?

Because Gary is a rebel and does things the way that works for him  :d

Re. strimmer line as leader, definitely heard of it even for Marlin, although that may have been a "back in the day" kind of thing where 400lb mono was not easy to come by.

Shark Hunter

Gary is catching Dinosaurs, I will never question his methods.
Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Come on, But Man, time to but in, tell us your secrets, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat