Spanner hook tool to remove four slotted retainers

Started by Fishgolfman, April 17, 2023, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

On both Orvis spinning and Zangi. The main gear is held on to body by the four slotted round threaded washer sometimes two! I have tried finding the right size hook spanner wrench but unsuccessful! Suggestions or make shift tool?

alantani

hopefully someone will know.  maybe a photo will help?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

You can make a couple of these —- but it is probably easier and quicker just to order a couple.

I use (2) so that older reels with (2) of these slotted nuts can be adjusted so that the nuts tighten against each other at the right position for best crank rotation.

eBay, Amazon, Harbor F., maybe Ace, McMaster-Carr, and many others carry these.

They are generally referred to as "C" Hook Spanner wrenches.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I bought multiple thin double ended micro hook spanner wrenches off eBay for about $1 apiece and filed a couple of them to fit certain nuts. The bigger those reels the bigger those notched nuts are so one size won't fit all of them. The cheaper looking thin ones will do the job just fine and are easier to file to the correct size. Otherwise you should probably buy a multi size set.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fishgolfman

I was looking for those cheap ones to file down! No luck. Just bought a set on ebay.