Mitchell 406 won`t turn

Started by phishxxii, April 17, 2023, 03:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishxxii

I have a Mitchell 406 that I serviced. Everything seemed fine until I put the handle on . It won`t reel in. It works fine with handle off and even works ok with the handle on minus the handle collar. As soon as the handle collar is put back on it won`t turn What can be the problem?

foakes

Hi phish —-

On a 406 and many other larger Mitchells —- there is a spacer washer that goes on before and under the dust cover.

These are commonly lost over the years or during servicing.

Missing this would cause the issue you are describing.

Easy part —- #81346.

This could be the problem —- let us know either way.

The washer has to be the right size to work —- not too large and not too small.

If you need one —- I'll send one out, N/C.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

phishxxii

Fred,allI see is what looks like a brass colored washer on the outside and flush with the threaded hole in the main gear. . Is that the spacer under the dust shield you`re talking about?

jtwill98

Yes, the small washer goes between the main gear and under the dust cover of the handle. Too large and the handle with tighten on the cover plate stem.  Remove the handle and the dust cover from the handle and try putting the handle back on without the dust cover.

It will either work or you'll be able to see it tighten down on the cover plate stem. 

foakes

This is what you are likely missing —-

Like John sez —- it goes between the dust cover and the main gear axle (which is NOT flush, it sits slightly proud so that this spacer will work to connect solidly with the crank under the dust cover, for free crank rotation).

PM me your full name and mailing address —- and I have a new one ready to send to you.  N/C.

Funny, now the smallest things will not allow a reel to work properly.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

phishxxii

Fred and JT.Thanks for the info. The washer in the picture was missing. I put a couple of shims under the dust shield and all is well. Thank you again

foakes

Great, Phish!

I'll put this washer back in the 306/406 parts bin.

It is possible for the thinner shims to deform or compress over fishing time.

So, if still needed at some point —- just let me know.

Best Always, Fred

--------

Fred O.