A Special fishing rod for Keith

Started by steelfish, April 17, 2023, 06:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

This is one of the most special fishing rods I have build and was also built for an Special person too.

Keith contacted me on late February to ask me to build a fishing rod for his son, he gave me the colors of preference, specs of the rod and was very specific that the only other lettering he wanted on the rod was the name of his Son and a message he wanted to be on the fishing rod, then he stopped answering my texts and calls and we all know the reason  :'(
anyway, I had all the information I needed to build the fishing rod so, the order had to continue as it was required.

he just told me to use a blank that could be used for 3000 sized Shimano spinning reels and something around those sizes, he let me choose the blank brand and the rest of the components as well as the color combination to use between the colors he gave me as the options that his Son might like the most on a fishing rod.

the blank is an American tackle travel rod MagBass AT843-3  7ft 10-17lb 1/4-3/4oz lure, guides are Fuji KL and fuji LDB as running guides and tiptop
the reelseat is AT APex G2 and I build the "insert"/color that show on the reeleseat vents to match perfectly with the rest of the color on the guide wraps.

the fishing rod is right now on its way to Keith's son Lucas, I wish Keith could have seen it.
hopefully his son will like it and use it

it was an honor to be part of this special gift from Keith to his son, he told me how much he loved him, that's  why he was very specific on the message on the rod.

as normally I will post lots pictures of the fishing rod, at.com ohana members will see it before Lucas, hopefully no one show it to him before having it on his hands and ruin the surprise   :D

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few  more pics
The Baja Guy

steelfish

last ones.

it might not sound good coming from me but I liked a lot that blank and also the finished rod :-X
I might build something similar for my personal arsenal to carry on my car, it should be fun to fight angry triggerfish or spotted bay Bass from the shore with that rod and 2500-3000 sizes reels.

this fishing rod carry its own rod sox by the house brand of the builder  ::)  8)

The Baja Guy

Brendan

Nice job Alex.
Tight lines, Brendan.

JasonGotaProblem

Nice to finally get to see it. Great work.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Beautiful rod and tribute to Ohana —-

Thanks, Alex!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mjg378

A gift from the heart with beautiful craftsmanship!
Mike

Gfish

"I ain't no new-age sensitive type a guy!" Or, at least I don't consider myself so..., but I'm touched by this. Great job Alex.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

What a story, literally the stuff movies are made of.
Thank you for taking care of our family.
FTC (SS) Jones, Ronald L (Ret)
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

boon

Beautiful, although slightly heartbreaking work there Alex.

Swami805

Very nicelyand clean Alex, the red under the skeleton seat is a nice touch. Clean finish too!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !