What's your favorite fishing qoute or saying?

Started by pjstevko, April 18, 2023, 04:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

A couple of mine are....

Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger. Hebert Hover
You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are continually following in. Heraclitus
You can't catch them from your couch or bunk. Unknown
You can't fight nature and win. Ted True blood
No matter how good a man gets at fishing, he'll never land every fish he hooks. A.J. McClane

What's yours?

Aiala

"He that loses his conscience has nothing left that is worth keeping."

Izaak Walton

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Lots of large fish & good trips are lost by waiting for the perfect weather.  The best time to go fishing is right now.

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Midway Tommy

You must not be holding your mouth right.  :-\    ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Maxed Out

"You should've been here yesterday"
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

nelz

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 18, 2023, 11:44:12 PM"You should've been here yesterday"

LOL, I was just gonna say that, you beat me to it.  ;D

nelz

pjstevko

El Pescador

PJ!

Great thread, thanks for setting it up.
I've been collecting Fishing Quotes and quotes I enjoy reading for 20 years, so let me do an entire data dump here.  Please!!!  Enjoy each one.  Wayne

Fishing Quotes:

"We arrive at this moment by the unswerving punctuality of Chance..."  George Shea, Nathan's Hot Dog World Food eating championship.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like bananas

"Reminds me of my safari in Africa.  Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water."  - W.C. Field

"It is impossible to grow weary of a sport that is never the same on any two days of the year" – Theodore Gordon (1914)

"He who hears the rippling of rivers, will never despair of anything" – Henry David Thoreau

"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it." – River of Memory by Harry Middleton

Fishing Song – Van Morrison, "And It Stoned Me."  Moondance, 1970

"Green Means Go!" - Peter Deutscher, Steelblue Lodge, Jan. 2007

fishing (fish'ing)
1. n. the art of casting, trolling, jigging, or spinning while freezing, sweating, swatting, or swearing.

"Sometimes you are the dog, other times you are the Hydrant.  John, Last time you were the Dog!"  Mark Kimball, Steelblue Lodge, Feb. 2010, speaking to my son, John, who on our last trip, over 2 days hooked 9 steelheads and landed 5, 3 were native – adipose fin steelhead

"Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness", Robert Traver, Testament of a Fisherman

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming" - John Steinbeck

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse.  Either is a gain over just staying home - Roderick Haig-Brown, Fisherman's Spring

Wayne, don't be disappointed if you don't catch anything.  As Gillbert, Roland Martin's third cousin once removed, always says..."To stay hooked on fishing...scale down your expectations, tackle your worries, cast away your doubts, and bait your breath".  And that's straight from the fish's mouth. Cheers, James Luce

"Adventure has its risks...  If you are scared, STAY HOME!"

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" - Doug Larson

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."  - Henry David Thoreau

"The woods would be silent if no birds sang" - Van Dyke

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."  - Heraclitus.  The beginning screenshot on a Jim Shockey Hunting Show 

"There is a Fine Line between Fishing and Just Sitting There Looking Stupid" - Author unknown

Food for thought:
"I find my love fishing,
His feet in the shallows.
We have breakfast together
And drink beer."
-Anonymous Egyptian Text,
CA. 1500 B.C.

"Fish", he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead" – Earnest Hemmingway, The Old Man and the Sea

"He who knows naught knows not that he knows naught"

"There is more B.S. in fly fishing than a Kansas stockyard..."  Lefty Kreh

"Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after."  - Michael Baughman

"We need the tonic of wilderness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because they're unfathomable.  We can never have enough of nature." — Henry David Thoreau, Walden

"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing" – Clark Gable

"Do not tell fish stories where the people know you.  Particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." -Mark Twain

"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot" – Aldo Leopold.

"If your #### ain't in the water, then you ain't fishin'!", Rick "Sizzler" Sisler, Alaska West, Deneki Lodges

It's time to REDLINE the FUN METER!!! – Eastman's Outdoor Show

"Sit back, Don't BLINK, Strap in, Hang ON, Don't change the channel", Mark Davis quote at the start of Big Water Adventures TV Shows

"Where is the haste that ye hurry by?" - Rudyard Kipling, from Road Song of the Bandar-Log

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."  - Doug Larsen

Always live life to the full, be bold, have no regrets – Scott Bateman, 747 Pilot

Fishing is not a matter of life or death.  It's much more important that that!

"A ship in harbor is safe — but that is not what ships are built for." — John A. Shedd

"Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening.
Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.
Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters." ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin

"Be sure in casting, that your fly fall first into the water, for if the line fall first, it scares or frightens the fish..." - Col. Robert Venables 1662

As age slows my pace, I will become more like the heron.

Warning:
The hooks are sharp.
The coffee's hot.
The fish are slippery when wet.
Beware of the Dogma

"The charm of fishing is that is it the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" – John Buchan, circa 1936

The adage, "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" has semblance.

"Absorb what is Useful, Discard what is Not, Add what is uniquely your Own" – Bruce Lee

"I don't go fishing to escape my life; I go fishing to LIVE my life." – Unknown

Peanuts Comic Strip -
"Chuck, what's the meaning of life?"
"More Fishing, less Bitching, Patty!"

"The best kind of fish in the world is the one on the end of your line" - Penn Pro Staffer

"Since ancient times, wise ones and sages often lived by water.  When you live by water there is catching fish, catching people, being caught by catching, and catching the way." – Dogen, Japanese Zen Master, 1125 AD
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

David Hall

Fish, like Gold, are where you find them.
 C.O.Hall

jgp12000

my old fishin buddy RIP had 2:

1.Don't catch em' all!
2.It was Big as yo 2 hands!

Chief Brodie,"You're gonna need a bigger boat"

Lastly,"That's why it's called fishin, and not catchin"Unknown

JasonGotaProblem

Related to adages in general,

"Just because it rhymes, doesn't mean it's true"
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.