Look what happened to the base of this Penn!

Started by MexicanGulf, April 19, 2023, 07:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MexicanGulf

FB_IMG_1681797625888.jpgFB_IMG_1681797620295.jpg 

during the fight with a large bluefin tuna estimated at 850 lbs. I dare not imagine that loads of drag were used

Shellbelly

I'll bet somebody got around to checking all their equipment after that.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Squidder Bidder

Wow. I see the gasket - Alan removes it in his 50VISX tutorial. I'm thinking that may be a good idea to get more "purchase" from the base screws into the frame.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Benni3

I'm very sorry this happened to you,,,,, >:( they should of used 8 screws or just bigger ones,,,,, :-\

Keta

Penn says the 50 VISX can do 60# of drag max and I have found most manufactures fudge a bit on their drag numbers. Did you use a drag scale to set the dra?

Things that might have caused this would be,
#1 over torquing the bolts
#2 loose bolts. 

My "guess" would be #1, standard SS bolts can not take much torque,  67 inch pounds for a lubricated 1/4-20 316 bolt and 79 inch pounds dry.

1/4" SS bolts have more than 70# shear streingth....each.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Is that reel the 50 VISX guy's 'er talking about? And how did it do a number on your finger? And is the finger/hand ok?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

I had a reel do that in Alan's garage while being loaded with braid. Thing flew across the room like a guided missile. Alan bored out the frame and tapped it for oversized screws, then finished winding on line. I've caught a good number of yellowtail and tuna with that Okuma ever since.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

So what happened there?  Did the screws just back out or did the break?  More importantly did they land the fish?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

i frequently find that the screws are a little loose.  if they are reasonably tight, i would not expect them to just rip out.  were they loose to begin with? i would drill out the frame and tap it to 1/4-20m then run studs directly from the frame. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

UKChris1

MexicanGulf

Penn international 70 Guys!
broken screws...