Which reel DAM Quick 1400 or Dam Quick 3000

Started by jtwill98, April 20, 2023, 03:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtwill98

Given the opportunity, which reel would you choose a Dam Quick 1400 or Dam Quick 3000 -- same price $40?   

foakes

For $40, John —-

I would not hesitate to snatch up both of them immediately.

Shoot 'em and sort 'em later!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Midway Tommy

Depends a lot on condition to me, but also what you'll be using it for. Preferably the 1400 as it is harder to come by.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jtwill98

I picked up both and received the 1400 last evening.  Great reels.

foakes

If you need anything for them, just let me know.

Great reels!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kjdunne

Fred,
Is the bail on the 1400 supposed to fold down into a storage position?  If yes, I can't figure out how...

Kal

foakes

Quote from: kjdunne on May 03, 2023, 02:12:08 PMFred,
Is the bail on the 1400 supposed to fold down into a storage position?  If yes, I can't figure out how...

Kal

Hi Kal —-

In the (16) reels in the '00, '01, & '02 skirted spool series —- (5) of the reels have fold down bails for storage.

1000, 1001, 1202, 2002, 3002.

The rest do not.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

kjdunne

Thanks Fred, I feel less "technically challenged" now.

Kal

jtwill98

Just passing along some information, that may help someone down the line. 

I had a couple of issue with my DQ 4001 that I picked up. 

First, sometimes when winding the reel, the action of winding seemed to hesitate or act like it was stuck. A little force and it would reel fine.

I tore it down to have a look and found a small piece 1/16x1/16 of plastic under the rotor. I removed the plastic and finished servicing the reel. I've used it many times since and it's been fine. I'm not sure if it was there prior or if my fault as I can't remember if I serviced the reel when I first took possession of it.   

Second issue (more of an annoyance than issue), when using the reel the knurl nut on the collapsible handle would loosen up every third-fifth cast and I would need to re-tighten it. I saw online that this was a common thing. Upon reading, I saw DQ resigned the collapsible handle in favor of a spring release mechanism. 

That got me to thinking, so last night I removed the handle, washer and knurl nut and placed a spring underneath the knurl nut and reassembled the handle. I've played with it a bit today and thus far it's holding firm. The final test will occur during my next fishing outing.